Friday, May 19, 2017

Leaving Cayman

Woke up to RAIN!  And not those nice little sun showers!  No, this was torrential tropical downpour!



We really lucked out with the weather, for sure!  It was sad that we couldn't sit out one last time and I felt bad for anyone who was staring their vacation.

We had a nice breakfast.  We woke up early enough to have a leisurely morning.  Our flight was scheduled to depart at 1:30 but I had planned on being on the road at 9:30.  We still had a gas tank to fill and just in case, I got "lost", plus possible traffic and returning the car might be "island time".  But then Winnie got an alert that our flight was an hour delayed.

Regardless, we still planned on leaving around 9:30.  I was able to swing the car over to the parking lot in front of the elevator.  Drove over to the lobby so Winnie could check out and I could print out my boarding pass.

When we hit the road, the rain would be heavy and light.  I could see the "flooding" so needed to be careful.

I did miss a turn at some point but "airport" signs are everywhere...whew!  Finally reached the terminal and also the car rental mall.  Return was 1-2-3.  And fortunately it was only sprinkling when we walked our luggage to the terminal.

Although we were TSA Pre-checked...there isn't such a thing in this airport but at least we didn't have to take off our shoes.

We waited in the terminal and had our lunch.  We did not have any further delays and were able to board at 1:45.  A passenger by the name of Christopher Bryant was constantly being paged but never showed. I believe he was to be seated in 20A next to my 20C so I ended up having that row to myself.  Worked out great as I scooted over to 20 A and Winnie sat in 20C.



Was raining as we started to take off but no turbulence




Flight made up 30 min of time and we landed in JFK around 7.

Long Beach

Cedarhurst

Costco at Five Towns

Landing

JFK


I haven't been out of the country in many years so have not experienced the new Customs and Immigration procedure which is now done by computers if you're a US or Canadian citizen.

After we went through easily, we caught the Air Train and Winnie took the subway and I the bus but if I went with Winnie, I would have probably made it home 15-20 min earlier. But it all worked out well and it's another adventure in the books!


No comments: