The first time I played was when Nikki and I opened her gift and she started me on the bowling game. I was so in the dark that I stayed seated on the couch when it began. Nikki said I had to get up. I was befuddled! Stand up?? But once I got the hang of it, I was, as they say, hooked. It is simply amazing.

About 15 years ago, one of the mothers from Nikki’s class asked if I would join her on a bowling league. They were looking for members. The ladies met on Tuesday afternoons for 2 hours. I used to bowl weekly when I was a pre-teen. Winnie, Kathy, Connie (Winnie's sister) and I would go to Madison Square Garden where they had a beautiful bowling alley…(it is now the Theater at MSG.) Besides ice-skating, this was the only sport I regularly participated in and enjoyed.
I agreed to join the Hadassah Women’s League. It consisted of eight 3-women teams and we were all different ages and sizes. I really enjoyed it. I did well, even earning a trophy for bowling a 200 game. I ended up being the bookkeeper of the league. I became so enamored of the game that I also joined an evening league with my ex-husband! We called ourselves “Nikki’s Mom & Pop”.
So the Wii brought up all the old feelings of how much I love playing and after a few false starts, I played the virtual game as if I was bowling in real life. Exactly the same moves. That first time, I overdid it and my arm was sore for days. Glad to say that with regular playing, my arm is now in good shape.
Sadly almost all the bowling alleys in my area have gone out of business. I was thrilled to come across a bowling center upstate by my house. When all the kids were up one weekend, I took them there. I still have my own ball and shoes. Everything came back to me…I think it never goes away. I did well enough to impress my 9 year old niece, Miranda and brought out the competitiveness of my 13 year old nephew, Xavier. But alas…they couldn’t beat me!

Me, Miranda, Nikki, Kris
I did the fitness test today to see what age I am, fitness-wise. My results?
37!! Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment