When I was diagnosed, I knew I had to do something. I had already been doing crunches and low resistance moves when I was simply on a diet to lose weight. But now aerobics and really revving my heart was more what is needed. I decided to do the 10,000 steps.
It takes a lot to do 10,000 steps. Even when you think you’ve done quite a bit of walking…the pedometer only reads 2500 steps…you almost can't believe it...the meter must be broken or wasn't recording your steps. But regardless, my thought was - at least I’m moving - better than nothing.
Yesterday I had lunch with Daniel…my old business partner. We shared a small office for over 15 years and I love him like a brother. It’s been three and a half years since we closed the business and I miss seeing him everyday. Prior to yesterday’s lunch, I had not seen him since August! So this was a real treat. While catching up, I told him about my 10,000 steps and whoa…it turned out, he just started doing that also! And said we should do it together. He lives across the street from a park…actually he lives inside the park - (his building was built illegally inside a park) and he mentioned that walking through the park and then onto their running track - that after about 1 ½ hours…you get to 10,000 steps. We agreed to meet at 10:30am.
We could have easily walked leisurely but we didn’t. We walked at a nice brisk pace…maybe not as brisk as if Kathy was with us, but I could feel the “pain” so I must have been on the right track… - track...get it…?
We talked and laughed and kept walking. The running track is nice because it gives under your feet. I think we did about 10-15 rounds. When we were done…we walked close to 12,000 steps and in one hour and 45 minutes. The time just flew by. It was cool out so I didn’t think I was sweating but when I got into my car, I found myself quite warm and knew I had a good work out. My hair was actually plastered to my head...have to find some solution for that!!


We are meeting again tomorrow…same time, same place…weather permitting….a very good thing…with my very good friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment