Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I am most definitely a “potions and lotions” kind of a girl. From a very early age, I love make-up. An early recollection is smearing my mom’s bright red lipstick all over my lips when I was 2 or 3 years old. Then during the pre-teens, having my girlfriend, Susie sneak cosmetics to me…eye shadow & mascara. The funny things is I don’t know why I thought I had to secretly get this stash because my mother never forbid it.

I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have make up. I always had the usual,- eyes, cheeks and lips done. It was years later that I added foundation and concealer to my repertoire. Now it’s all about the lotions, most specifically the anti-aging kind. And there is a huge selection to choose from and I am constantly looking for that “fountain of youth”. But this is nothing new.

About 17 years ago, before all the many anti-agents of today - Andra started to sell Nu-Skin and had come to see me to show me the products. I know she really wanted to recruit me but I already had a business and was not looking to add more to my plate. I did purchase an array of items from cleansers to masques to moisturizers. I was very intrigued about a “face-lifting” masque that was to make me look years younger. Nikki was about 6 years old and she was excited for me. I chose a quiet Sunday afternoon to make magic. I applied the concoction on my face and as it dried, I could feel the tightening and couldn’t even move my mouth. My God…it was really working! Nikki watched this with great interest and even gave me a foot massage during the 30 minute wait. When the half hour was up, she and I ran to the bathroom where I washed off the mask. We both looked intently in the mirror - I turning my face side to side to get the full impact. Nikki broke the silence by exclaiming “Wow-you do look younger! You look like my sister!”

I laughed and agreed. Then I told her to help me clean up. And she retorted “Yeah, you look like my sister but you still sound like my mom!”

My girl & I........................... First Day of Kindergarten

First Day of 3rd Grade?

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Nikki is adorable is all I can say and sassy too! I just noticed the dimples! The mom looks cute too ;-) Keep on blogging - loving all the photos!