Saturday, March 18, 2017

SURPRISE!! Part 1 - The Beginning

Whoa...this posting might take some doing!!  This date - March 18, 2017 - was HUGE!  Probably in the top 5 of my most favorite days of all time!

Awhile back...in anticipation of my milestone birthday - Bicky emailed and asked me to brunch to celebrate and since her calendar was filling up (ha!) - wanted to know if Mar 18th would work.  As it were, I was free!  And really...not unusual for us to meet up...though she mentioned that Miranda might join us.  That was slightly different but considering the occasion...it made sense.  I even asked Nikki to join us but she said she and Tom would be away. (wink)

I spent most of my morning and part of my afternoon with Winnie the day before!  Even spoke about my upcoming plans for my birthday week.  Yeah...it was also starting to fill up. Sunday was brunch at Fanny's.  Monday (the DAY) was my traditional "date" with Winnie: Wendy and Big Daddy's -  and then dinner with Nikki.  Also on the books was dinner with Daniel either on Tues or Wed.  Sushi lunch with Stan on Thur or Fri.  So yes....lots going on and even beyond.  There were still Leslie, Lugo and the SBC and so on.

Bicky chose a place.  The Dutch in SoHo.  Different since we usually meet up at the UWS.  But again...didn't raise any red flags and in all honesty, I was happy since it was easier for me to travel to.
Armed with a weekly Metrocard since Friday - I wanted to take full advantage.  My VS panties were not the right ones. Ugh!  I needed to exchanged them!  Seeing that I could take the bus to VS in Forest Hills, do the exchange and then hop on the E (the train I needed) seemed like a no-brainer!
We were meeting at 12noon.  So I set out around 10.  VS opened at 10.  Bus came within 5 min.  I easily made the exchange.  Went next door to Sephora for my birthday goodie.  Oh...and I had the thought to stop at the Tiffany location in SoHo to see about fixing the Peretti necklace Nikki gave me.
I had plenty of time!  And I love when I can kill many birds with one stone!

Got the E.  Easy peasy.  Got off at Spring St.  Walked up Spring to Greene and I had seen Sullivan St (where The Dutch was located) and so knew where I should be.  Found Tiffany...but unfortunately wasn't thrilled with their repair fees.  I still had 15-20 min to kill but it had started to snow. Slightly. While I thought I would window-shopped...now I figured I would just wait for my sister inside the restaurant until she showed up.  But somehow (divine intervention, perhaps?) - I took a wrong turn and got lost!!  I had a map I had printed out but for the first time in my life, printed it in "draft" so I couldn't see the street names because it was printed out so lightly! O-M-G!!  I started to freak out. Because I HATE being late!  Especially if there is a reservation involved.  I found myself on Mercer & Grand!  I had to ask someone which way to Prince.  I was blocks away!!  I was sweating it! From being 15 min early, now I was going to be LATE!!

When I finally got back on Spring St and recognized the different stores I had originally passed, I felt better.  And then when I came to Sullivan...whew until I saw the address of the first building.  It was 93!  WTH!!  I needed 131!  Another 2-3 blocks.  Okay.  It was already noon.  I was definitely late but I believe I reached the place at 12:03 or so.  I saw Miranda in the window - Yay!  When I walked in, both were also saying they had just arrived having dealt with a local train that turned express!  Been there, done that!

As the hostess started to lead us to our table...Bicky turned to me and gave me a gift in a shopping bag.  Awwww.  Everything was happening very quickly and Bicky was chatting up a storm!  So looking back, I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings.  Even while walking down a flight of stairs.  I've been to enough places where there sometimes are various dining rooms.  So I didn't think it odd.  It wasn't until I noticed at the bottom of the stairs, the hostess opening a closed door.  At that nano second, I felt that something was awry but still...it was happening very quickly so I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on it.

The door opened and I see "diners" but the ones in my line of sight had cameras/cells in front of their faces, I couldn't see who they were.  I heard the "Surprise!! - Happy Birthday!!" but still - it was surreal and I was trying to put one and one together.  Then I turned to my left and saw Marianne!! Marianne!!  Weird!!  But that's when my head started to clear and everything was coming into focus! WOW!  WOW!  WOW!  NEVER in a million years did I ever think I would be getting surprised! And on top of that - it was all NIKKI's doing!

So I was BLOWN away!  Boom! Ka-Pow! I didn't know what to do.  Take off my coat?  Keep my coat on? Put down my tote?  But where?  So I said the first thing that came to mind - "And it's snowing outside..".LOL  The biggest shock (as if the party and everyone being there wasn't enough) - that Kathy was there!!  I JUST saw her...in Florida!  And knew she was flying back on April 4th so this was - Crazy!!  But how wonderful!

I heard (much later) how amazing Nikki was.  She DID it all - alone!  Though everyone offered to help...(and I can just imagine!!) - but she didn't want or need help with the exception of having Bicky get me there.  And Bicky...well...that's a whole other story!

What was most heart-warming (at least to me) is that everyone there - were who should have been there.  My nearest and closest:  My sisters, their families (except Xavier - now - that would have been something!).  Winnie & Liz, Daniel & Willy, Marianne & John and Ronna and family - my Godchildren!  Besides my immediate family - of my friends - Two (Winnie & Marianne) I went to school with.  Three (Marianne, Ronna and Daniel) I worked with and One (Marianne) I went to school and worked with! So at some point in my life, I spent a LOT of time with these people!!

Also...Nikki didn't need anyone to help her with the guest list.  She didn't even need help in getting the contacts for all these people.  She, herself, is close enough to them that she already had the info. If that's not family, I don't know what is!

I don't have enough adjectives to describe how I felt, how I feel, what it all meant/means to me...

There was just so much LOVE in the room....





No comments: