Thursday, January 26, 2012

Nobu Night

Nikki invited me to dinner at Nobu Next Door during Restaurant Week and had made reservations for tonight. I jumped at the opportunity. Located downtown on Hudson Street, I drove and was able to park across the street. (Parking available after 6pm) I walked into the restaurant and discovered I was at the wrong place. Thankfully their computerized reservation system is linked and I was directed 2 doors down...hence the name Nobu "Next Door". I arrived 10 minutes earlier than Nikki but was seated immediately. The setting is pretty but very dim. I have to admit, I couldn't see the menu. But that was partially due to my aging eyesight. In poor lighting, I need reading glasses. But I had already done my research and knew what I wanted. The Restaurant Week menu had the following options:

Appetizer - Choice of:

Yellowtail Tartar
Black Cod Miso w/ Limestone Lettuce
Rock Shrimp Tempura with Creamy Spicy Sauce
Squid "Pasta" w/ Light Garlic Sauce

Entree - Choice of:
Arctic Char with Crispy Baby Spinach
Beef Toban Yaki
Assorted Sushi

Chef's selection dessert

I opted for the yellowtail tartar for the appetizer and Nikki went with the Rock Shrimp Tempura. We both ordered the assorted sushi. Presentation was beautiful. My yellowtail tartar was on a bed of wasabi soy sauce and topped with a fleck of gold leaf. There was a "peach" something as a palate cleanser. But it also acted as a lovely decoration. The yellowtail was buttery...exactly why I love yellowtail...Nikki's shrimp tempera was perfection. If I ever go there again, I would order the shrimp. Our sushi was fresh and the selection was traditional sushi pieces...tuna, salmon, shrimp, yellowtail, octopus, fluke & mackeral. Our "surprise" dessert was profiteroles with lemon cream and green tea flakes. It was delicious. I enjoyed our dinner very much but I think the next time I would go with the Beef Toban Yaki because the aroma was mouth-watering and so enticing from whoever ordered it at the other tables!

Place Setting:(I was intrigued with the stone on the left)


Yellowtail Tartar




Rock Shrimp Tempura


Assorted Sushi


Dessert

No comments: