Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Knit Not

My mother is a master knitter...she also sews and crochets. Beautiful work that I have admired my whole life. I did learn the basic "knit one purl two" when I was very young and have made woolen items throughout my lifetime but nothing elaborate and it was never a passion. Although while I was in the middle of a project, I would be very immersed and obsessive.

My sister, Evelyn who was always interested in knitting, has become an incredible knitter. She has passion!!

When I started working at Michael's, I had access to all that "stuff" but there's so much other "stuff" that I didn't pay alot of attention to the yarn dept. Ruth is my co-worker in charge of "yarn and sewing notions". She is an older woman and a hoot. One of my favorite new "friends". I had admired a scarf another co-worker had on and she mentioned that Ruth made it for her. I complimented Ruth on it and she waved me off saying she used the "loom". I didn't have time to ask more detail.

As a holiday “bonus", Michael’s offered their associates, a 40% discount on an entire purchase including sale items. I was thrilled and was at the store on the first day the discount took effect. I was planning to go aisle by aisle and buy all that I could. But before I set off on my shopping spree, I stopped to speak with Bridie, another co-worker who started the same day as me. We talked about the discount and she said she wanted to buy one of those “looms”. Now I had to look at it. And when I did, I decided to get one.

I picked up 2 skeins of yarn in colors I liked and after a few days, I took a look at the instructions. It was fairly simple but even so, I ended up having to “frogged” my first project quite a few times before I got it right. In fact, even when I got to the desired length of my scarf and was ready to cast off, I messed up and had to start at square one. By then, I had started it so many times, it was old hat and each time, I was getting better and faster at it. I was very happy with my finished product. Since then, I have completed 2 scarves and am on my 3rd one although I just ripped it out because I made an error during the cast off and in the end, I felt the thickness of the yarn warranted a shorter width so I have started it over.

I am not a knitter a la my mother, nor my sister by any stretch of the imagination. For one, I only know this one “stitch” and am not thinking beyond that. But the creation, regardless of the simplicity does provoke a great sense of accomplishment. And…THAT…is very much like my mother and sister! :-)


Latest project on my "contraption"
(Already restarted)


Three Scarves (Unfortunately the photo of the left multi-colored scarf doesn't do it justice - I have already worn it quite alot. Soft and warm.)

1 comment: