Saturday, January 21, 2012

Knit Not Magic

After "knitting" my 3 scarves, I did start to think about a different "stitch" that the loom contraption could produce. I was sure that it was a possibility and "google" it and of course, there was an array of info. I found a site that showed an interesting scarf. But it used an unusual "yarn" or rather, it was unusual to me since my knowledge of yarn and woolen goods is very limited. The yarn was ribbon-liked and the pattern was a pleat.

When I went to work, to my surprise, I found a similar yarn. I eyed it every time I passed the yarn dept. Last week, Michael's had a yarn sale and I decided to take advantage. Once again, I looked at that particular yarn. It came in various colors and each skein was multi-colored. I looked at the "blues", the "reds", the orange-reds", the "greens" and finally settled on a pink-maroon. There is also some metallic thread running through it. My co-worker, Ruth who is charge of that dept. saw me debating over that bin and passed me 2 skeins in black, white & gray saying that these were discounted to $1.19 a skein! Crazy! Way lower than the other colors. I asked "why?" and she shrugged saying maybe people didn't like the colors. Which of course shocked me since who wouldn't like black & white? This was a godsend - I could experiment without spending a lot of money. A win-win situation.

The Yarn called "Hip-Hop"


When I got it home, I inspected it. Not at all like the one shown on the web-site but the only similarity was that it did have these "eyelet" openings which is what I needed to produce the pleat pattern. In the end, it was so easy! And as I finished one row and another, the scarf materialized like...MAGIC! It curled and "ruffled" and looked like one of those "dressy" scarves you see in the stores! I've always admired them, being a lover of scarves but balked at paying $20 and higher. I think I will be getting some other colors to add to my collection. And yes, I'm taking orders. LOL!!

Scarf starting to show itself


Finished


Ready to be out on the town

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

That's sooo cool! When we were in Newport last summer I went to the LYS and bought a ribbon yarn that will enable me to knit (with needles) a scarf just like yours. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet but I know it'll be fun.