Thursday, February 2, 2012

Water's Edge

Tonight I took Daniel out to dinner to celebrate his "special number" birthday. It was advantageous that Water's Edge is participating in Restaurant Week. Restaurant is aptly named being located on the water in Long Island City showcasing a gorgeous view of Manhattan. One can sail across the river from 23rd St on their ferry. We were lucky to have a crisp clear night to enjoy the spectacular vista.

Tables for 2 are lined next to the panoramic windows. I have to admit, it is a romantic atmosphere but also suitable for a special occasion such as this celebration for one of my most favorite people.



Our View


For those who know Daniel & his use of American sayings, you will appreciate this moment. When asked if he would like anything to drink, I encouraged him to order something. He asked for a vodka martini, straight up but with "just a splash...a bit of olive juice...not filthy" :-)


Restaurant Week Dinner Menu :

Firsts :

Lobster Bisque w/Tempura Lobster
Spicy Tuna & Endive, Fingerling Crisps, Lemon Ginger Vinaigrette

Main Course :

Roasted Duck
Soft Polenta, Sugar Snaps, Burnt Cherry Reduction

Pan Seared Diver Scallops
Truffled Summer Succotash, Fingerlings, Lemon lime emulsion

Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Sweet Potato Hash, Sun Dried Cherry, Apricot Compote.

Dessert :

Classic Creme Brulee
Fresh Berries
Chocolate Molten Lava
Espresso Gelato

We both ordered the lobster bisque that had a touch of cream to give it a lovely smooth texture. It was perfectly seasoned.




Although both Daniel and I love duck which I opted for, he couldn't resist the scallops. I also love scallops but always fear that it would be overcooked. My duck was cooked medium rare which is the way I like it. The polenta, buttery and creamy just melted on my tongue. The scallops were excellent. So sweet and pan-seared exactly as scallops should be.





When dessert arrived...and lava cakes were in hand, I said to the assistant or busboy who was serving..."we ordered the espresso gelato". He looked flustered and went away. The waiter who took our order came over with the lava cakes and said the espresso gelato was inside the cake. Hmmmm....it was absolutely heavenly but I think he lied to us. Certainly nothing tasted like coffee to me or Daniel. In any case, no complaints. We were very happy campers. Happy Birthday, my good friend & wishing you many more!

No comments: