Monday, February 1, 2010

Wolfie

I think it might have been sophomore year at Art & Design and I had an illustration class. There was this skinny Spanish guy sitting behind me and he was soooo nasty. He wouldn't smile and kept making snide remarks. This went on for a few weeks and even though I am usually a nice person, he was really getting on my nerves. So we ranked on each other for a while and I don't know when it turned or how it did, but "Wolfie" - real name Wilfredo became a friend. And a really good friend. We didn't run in the same circle or hang out with each other but there was an understanding.

A memorable thing happened one day those many years ago...I saw him in the train station and stopped to chat. I noticed a spectacular star and crescent silver ring on his finger and admired it. He took it off and gave it to me! I wore it for the longest time and many other people used to comment on it. I still have it. But I lost contact with Wolfie after graduation.

When I helped organized my 25th class reunion, I tried to look for him but never was able to locate him. Since I took photos of him and have them in my photo album, I do think of him from time to time and wondered what became of him .

He just found me on Face Book and sent me an email. Wow. 35 years later. Amazing…this Internet business.

He wrote :

Yes Esther, it’s Wolfie and no one has called me that in a very long time. You have come a long way from the cute Chinese girl with the big glasses. I've often wondered how you’re doing in life. I hope all is well and you’re doing good.
I hope we will be able to talk soon. It’s really nice to hear from you. You’re the only person from my school days that left a lasting impression on me. You were really nice to me and I will never forget that. Until I hear from you again - peace and love




This just reconfirms the fact that people come and go in your life. And there are those that are a constant - they are there year in and year out - you love and appreciate them. There are those that you only see every few years if even that much but you stay in touch and continue your history together. And then there are those that pass through and sometimes you think of them and sometimes you don’t. They may have left some impression on you or not but when you find out what kind of wonderful impression YOU left on them - it’s pretty awesome and a real gift.

No comments: