Thursday, February 25, 2010

Eat...Rub...Eat Some More!

I had a packed day. I hadn’t planned it that way - it just happened. Winnie and I had been talking about having a spa day. I really needed a massage! I found Water Lily Spa located on Elizabeth & Broome who were offering a phenomenal deal! Two 1 hour treatments for $100! On top of that, I had purchased Spa Finders certificates at a 20% discount. We stopped by this place a few weeks ago and decided to book our appointments. I opted for an aromatherapy massage and Winnie wanted the brown sugar body scrub and we both chose reflexology for our 2nd treatment.


Reception area of Water Lily Spa

I made the appointments for Feb 24 at 1pm. Winnie and I decided we would have lunch prior and then after 2 hours of pampering, I would head home. Sounded like a good plan. A week later, Nikki called and advised me that they had extended Restaurant Week and she was able to make a reservation at the Russian Tea Room and would I like to join her. Of course! It was only a day later that I realized it was for the same date. But dinner was at 7...plenty of time between my massages….getting home and meeting Nikki.

I met up with Winnie at 11:45 to have a leisurely lunch before our appointments. We ate at Big Wong and had a filling meal. Then we walked over to the spa and were immediately ushered to our treatment rooms even though we were 15 minutes early. Both masseurs stayed with us for the whole 2 hours. It was really wonderful and I did fall asleep at one point during the reflexology. I know this because a “snore” jolted me awake! Winnie felt scrubbed clean and invigorated. I was refreshed and relaxed at the same time. I plan to get the scrub the next time around!


photo credits: Water Lily Spa

I met up with Nikki in front of RTR at 7pm. We were told to check our coats downstairs before being seen to our table. The host led us to our red banquet, pulling it out so that Nikki and I sat next to each other, facing out to the rest of the dining room. It felt decadent surrounded by all the red leather, gilt and paintings crowded on the walls.


I believe we sat in the banquet right hand side - 2nd one in
Photo credit: RTR

Nikki and I chose the same items on the menu.

Goat Cheese and Wild Mushroom Blinchik
Crepe filled with mixed mushrooms and melted onions topped
with lingdonberries.

Chicken Kiev
Herb butter stuffed in a breaded chicken breast with caramelized wild rice, figs and pear chutney.

Chocolate Pyramid
Bittersweet chocolate mousse with a vanilla crème brûlée, citrus syrup.


A waiter came by with a tray of rolls of which we were to chose one. Then our meal started and I am happy to report that everything was quite delicious. The waiter personally cut open our Chicken Kiev claiming it was very hot. I was pleasantly surprised by the Chicken Kiev which had a crispy crust and tender juicy meat. Both appetizer and entrée were complimented nicely with the sweet fruit chutney.



Over 30 years ago, I worked down the street from RTR and never dined there. I even had my high school graduation next door at Carnegie Hall. So I am very pleased that my experience there would be with my daughter. It was funny to think of the scene in “Tootsie” when I walked into the restaurant and which Nikki said she never saw! All in all…delightful with one of my most favorite of dining companions! And better yet...she whipped out her credit card and did the honors!

No comments: