I finally decided on Todd English’s “Olives” located in the W Hotel on Union Square. Nikki agreed and I made reservations for 7pm on January 27th, a Wednesday night.

I drove into the city and was able to find a parking spot directly across the street from Olives. Nikki met me there after work. The restaurant itself is dimly lit and has a simple line of sophistication. The bar was very lively. But I didn’t like the din. It does not make for good or easy conversation.
Our wait service was excellent. We started off with a huge bread basket filled with large pieces of flat bread and squares of a chewy on the inside and crusty on the outside bread. Along with it was a dish of olive tapenades & olives.

Bountiful Basket of Breads
From the special RW menu, Nikki made sure she ordered differently from me so we could try each other’s choices. For my appetizer, I went with the Cured Duck Proscuitto with rye panzanella, celery and mustard dressing. Nikki’s was the Charred Octopus Flatbread with almond romesco, preserved lemon and toasted garlic. When the plates came, we were awed by the size of Nikki’s flatbread. It was the size of a personal pizza if not bigger! I had 3 piles of the duck proscuitto on top of greens.

Duck Proscuitto

Octopus Flatbread
Nikki’s entrée was Pan Roasted Salmon with chorizo basmati, raisins and curry cream. The salmon was cooked perfectly with the skin on that was crisp and light. I had the Veal Short Ribs with parmesan grits and honey glazed carrots. The short ribs fell off the bone and melted in my mouth. Dessert for Nikki was Apple Semifreddo which was crème friache custard, cinnamon apple compote and olive oil-walnut granola. I had Hazelnut Semifreddo which was crispy hazelnut mousse, coffee cream and cocoa puffs.

Salmon

My Short Ribs

Nikki with her dessert

Me with mine
And although we were sated from our meal, the waiter placed a small plate of tiny cupcakes to finish.

Because of the lighting, my photos came out so-so and I apologize. All in all, it was a lovely evening & a special treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment