Friday, March 21, 2014

Water Lily & Marea

I'm on a path where I don't know what day it is!  Just know it's somehow still my birthday!  So far it's been a whirlwind!

Nikki took me out for today's celebration.  We met up at Water Lily Spa first on Broome Street.  I needed a massage badly!  Haven't had one in almost a year and that's too long.  My masseuse (named Hallan?) had just the right touch for me...poor Nikki, not so much...and I don't know the name of the person she had...Hallan really worked out my knots and kinks...and I had many!!  Everytime she touched upon one, I knew it was from work.

We had dinner reservations at Marea up on Central Park South and Columbus Circle.  Anthony Bourdain has raved about this place and Nikki has been wanting to try it ever since.  It is very expensive and certainly not a place we would go too often but for a special occasion, possibly worth the cost.

We opted for their $99 4-course prix fixe dinner.  Although Nikki had to have a "starter" called "ricci"..an appetizer "to be shared at the table" as per the menu...sea urchin, lardo, sea salt.  Not part of the prix fixe. Okay...yeah, yeah..doesn't sound appetizing especially if you're not a "foodie" or adventuresome.  It came on a thin piece of toast and all I can say is when I took the first bite, I thought my mouth had died and gone to heaven.  It.  Was.  So.  Delicious.  !!  No lie.  Buttery comes to mind.  Smooth.  Incredible taste.  WOW!

Prior to the "ricci" - we were served from a basket of bread that came around regularly.  A chef offering of an "amuse bouche" and was described so quickly that I didn't catch what it was except for something about "foam".  (Sorry for all these quotes but it was very Italian). It was served on a single spoon and we slipped it in our mouths in one fell swoop.

For the appetizer course (as part of the prix fixe) - I got the calamari and Nikki got the oysters on the half shell...6 different varieties.  I would have chosen oysters but I had my fill last night.  Our pasta course was spaghetti with crab (mine) and fusilli with octopus and bone marrow.  We both had the duck as our entree.  Nikki had panna cotta for dessert and I had the gelato - 3 different flavors of my choice.  I went with dark chocolate, white espresso and pineapple thyme.  I will add comments along with the photos.  My dessert came with a "happy birthday" written beautifully on a dark chocolate square and a small lit candle.  The meal ended with a trio of small one bite sweets:  a raspberry marshmallow, a dark chocolate caramel and a lemon macaron.  Oh my!

The decor is very sleek, straight lines...glass and wood.  Posh.  But the wait staff was not stuffy or arrogant as some of these places can be.  Service was impeccable.  I did not feel as if I could take out my camera and start taking shots of my food as it arrived so I had to make do with my cellphone.  Hence the poor resolution but at this point, it's better than nothing.

This will sound strange but Nikki and I loved their utensils.  Very modern and probably Italian designed.
The spoons in particular...were practically flat...like using a small spatula.

Having been on many cruises...some very high-end - after awhile, I did feel as if I was on a cruise being lavishly feted.  Have to admit...it felt decadent and I liked it!

As we walked out, every staff member we passed, acknowledged us.  The hostess stopped us and gave us each a parting gift.  A small muffin wrapped in cellophane.  Once out on the street, Nikki & I both exclaimed "We LOVE this place"....:-)

Amuse Bouche
Ricci
My appetizer - Camalari - stuffed with shrimp & scallop
Pasta Course: Strozzapreti - jumbo lump, sea urchin, basil
roasted long island duck breast, duck sausage, lentils, figs, 
roasted endive, foie gras jus


With my birthday gelato...candle cleverly "glued" to the plate
Trio of sweets...gratis
Parting gift



No comments: