Sunday, January 10, 2016

Disney Marathon Sunday

I had nothing planned for Saturday...probably to the delight of Kathy...haha...and although she rarely leaves the house on the weekends, she needed to pick up groceries.  Drove to Walmart, BJ's and Aldi's,  We got what we needed and prepared to settled in for a nice quiet day.

Which we had.  Deciding what to have for dinner was our biggest dilemma.  She had mentioned a place called "Steak n' Shake" which was within her area and she had coupons for them.  It had rave reviews on the food but horrible comments regarding service to the point Kathy stayed away!  But looking at the coupons, their combos were so inexpensive, I urged her to try it!  She was very skeptical and since I offered to be the one to go and pick up the take-out...and Tony was all in...she agreed but said she would pre-order on the computer which in the end, looked like the way to go!

The site accepted 3 of the same coupons!  Yay!  We each got a double burger, fries and a shake!  Tony & I went to pick it up...it was a 5-10 min drive.  Place looked like a 50's diner...very cool.  Okay...granted...it was around 3:30 so an off-time and I could kind of see where the service might be lacking but lucky for us, we were taken care of right away.  The burger and fries were great but the shakes...OMG!  We each had a different flavor...Kathy - strawberry, Tony - Hershey's Dark chocolate and I had mocha.  At first sip...we all decided to keep it for a dessert!  Sooo good!

The next day (Sunday) was Nikki & Tom's marathon.  I signed up to track all four runners - Nikki, Tom, Kevin and Dana.  With info I obtained from Nikki, I discovered Tom would probably be finished almost 3 hours ahead of the other 3 and so Kathy & I set out to see if we could catch the 3 at the finish line.

Not knowing what the whole procedure or operation would be like and hearing over 20,000 people were participating...it was a huge unknown.  The drive to Disney was fine...but when we entered the parks and forked towards Epcot where the marathon ended - it was bumper to bumper.  Uh-oh.  Here we go.  But as it turned out, it was a merger of 3 lanes into 2 so it was slow going for a bit.  Once we passed that, it was actually a breeze and once again, Kathy flashed her magic parking pass and we were through!

We had no idea where they would have us park.  We figured we were ready to take the tram to the entrance and head to the parking lot that Disney cordoned off for the run - "Imagine" right next to the entrance.  But we were directed to Amazing - right next to Imagine...walking distance in fact.  How wonderful.  And from there, we walked to the finish line.  And saw how well organized the whole thing was.  We never felt crowded in nor "lost" and let's face it...it's Disney, Folks!  Should have known better and know it would be A-OK!

There were several Jumbotrons but in the end, I wasn't able to see Nikki crossed the finish line even though I was aiming my camera at it.  Oh well...we found her by the massage tent and she had broken away from Kevin and Dana around the half way mark, she did so well - finishing 5:41:31 while Tom did a phenomenal 3:39:06...I was so proud of her but hurt for her at the same time.  She gingerly climbed onto the bus to return to her resort and Kathy & I went home.

Never - I repeat NEVER in a million years, after seeing her with ice packs wrapped around her thighs - did I think she would want to visit Universal the next day!  But I was surprised when I received word that Kevin, Dana and Nikki would be going to Universal and that led to a night of renting a car and trying to set my mind to joining them! To be continued....

Doesn't it look like the Castle is in the distance???





Thanks, Kathy...for being part of the cheer squad! :)

Nic and all her medals...Proud of her!! Great job!

No comments: