Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Disney Day One - Hollywood Studios - Jan 2016

A week long visit staying with Kathy & Tony!  Came about with the announcement of Nikki & Tom's participation in Disney's 2016 Marathon.
They flew into Orlando morning of Jan 5th (Tues) staying at the Port Orleans Resort onsite. 
I took the train to the plane for the very first time and it worked out beautifully!  Quite abit of walking but for $7.50...worth it if you have a rolling suitcase and not too heavy a load.  Even with the onslaught of wintery frigid weather - 39 degrees!  I met Kathy & Tony at Jet Blue.  Our flight was full but uneventful and we arrived on time. 

The next morning, Kathy and I set out for Hollywood Studios.  Kathy drove!!  That's news in itself! And rare for me to have her drive me around.  Though she did have me drive back home, still...it was cool for me to see her behind the wheel.  What we really loved was Kathy waving her annual pass and the associate waving us through to the parking lot...free of charge!  A savings of $20!  Woo-hoo!

We weren't very prepared for this park visit since it was sprung on us last minute.  We thought we would do Animal Kingdom first but Nikki said she wasn't going to Animal Kingdom until Thursday.  I had no problem with the change.  Didn't matter one way or the other.  I did want to try to see her at least once at a park. So when we arrived...we hopped on the first ride - The Great Movie Ride.  Which I do remember from years past and it was still fun.  Hardly a line.  After that, we visited The Muppet Vision 3D show and last Star Wars Tours.  Yeah...not a lot of rides.  The others were thrill rides which I'm not a big fan.  We walked around The Streets of America which I loved!  And we could see where all the lights were strung for the last night of the Osborne's Light show.  The reason why Nikki changed her plans.  I didn't even know about the Osborne lights but this was the very last year.  Kathy & I were planning to return in the evening to see it.  In the meantime, we needed to leave so Tony could return the rental car.  And we had decided on Sweet Tomatoes for our early supper.

Drive back was fine...it takes about 30-35 min. depending on traffic and such.  Returned the car and then headed back towards Disney to Sweet Tomatoes.  I hadn't realized it was located halfway between the 2 places.  If I did, I wouldn't have suggested it.  Regardless...had a lovely meal and then went home to rest.  Kathy thought she might be too tired to return to Hollywood Studios but she didn't want me to go alone.  In the end, Tony accompanied us which also meant he drove...much to my relief - one thing in daylight..another in the dark.  And it gets DARK out there, folks!  

So in one day, I was on the same road for the 3rd time!  Unfortunately once we got there, the parking lot was FULL!  UGH!  I couldn't subject them to parking at Animal Kingdom, taking a shuttle...etc...nope...not worth it so we just went home - as Kathy said, just watch it on YouTube!

Entering Hollywood Studios...Hollywood Blvd



Muppet Fountain

Streets of America












Tower of Terror 

No comments: