Thursday, October 25, 2012

One Year @ Michael's

It's a year, folks!  A year ago that I walked into Michael's - a rube.  A novice.  No idea what I was going to be doing or if I could do it!  October 20th is my official anniversary, the date that I did my paper work.  Oct 25th is the day I got thrown into the fire.  And what a fire.  I started at 11:30am and finished the day at 6pm. Not what I imagined.  And I was put on the registers - after a 15 minute training session by the ever patient Chris.  I always say, if it weren't for Chris, I would have walked out the store and never looked back.  But he was so positive and encouraging that it made the craziness bearable. Since everything was so new and I couldn't really take notes on the spot, I had to ask him several times on procedure over and over again and he never made me feel that I was bothering him.  That was huge.  And he is still like that...every single day.

The other plus of that day was being paired with another new employee, Bridy.  We both did our paperwork on the same day and started on the registers at the same time.  After we both got that 15 minutes of training, we tagged-team on one register for about 20 minutes before we both went solo.  The line was just too long not to pitch in.

I didn't stay on the registers long.  After 3 days, I was asked if I would be interested in replenishment -in charge of jewelry.  But the hours were 5am to whenever.  Could I do it?  I said I would try and since I have a car and there is a parking lot, it has not been a problem.  I actually enjoy it.  And Bridy, after spending months on the registers, got bumped to IT/HR and with that, to replenishment and right in the next department, Apparel.  She is a joy to work with.  She is an artist in her own right:  www.bridycrawford.com and surprised me this morning with one of her exquisite coin purses.  I am totally delighted.

I have come a long way from that first day.  There are still things I learn every day but for the most part, I have hundreds of thousands of beads down to a science. And I enjoy the rapport I have with my managers and co-workers.  All in all, it's been a very good thing.

Card I made so co-workers coming into the break-room
knew what was going on
The mini-cupcakes...vanilla and chocolate
Me & Bridy
A sentimental anniversary card and Bridy's hand-painted and
hand-sewn, silk-lined coin purse.  Wow
Remember...it's 5am!  And I look it!
Me & my boss, Marc
Me & Ilma - she has been at the company for over 6 years
and was very intimidating to me on that first week.  She has since
become a favorite co-worker...she knows that store inside and out.
Me, wonderful manager,Chris and Bridy

No comments: