Sunday, April 3, 2011

Freckles, Waffles & Birds

Oh boy...what does it mean when hundreds of birds poop on your car?? I hope it means good luck is around the corner because it just happened to me.

Winnie invited me to see "Freckleface Strawberry" (tickets she won) and yes, it's geared to children and there were many little girls aged around 5 years or so, and although we sat in the first row, all the kids around us were so well-behaved that it was a pleasure. It was an easy breezy 70 minute musical that was quite cute. It reminded me of shows that I took Nikki to when she was that age. And I could see this would be a sweet thing to do on a sunny Sunday morning with your kid.

The show started at 11...finished at 12:10. Just in time for brunch...my favorite meal! Winnie was treating for my birthday although I feel she's been treating me all month...but I am older and wiser and took her up on it with no argument!

She asked me to choose the place and after much investigating, I opted for "Georgio's Country Grill". One, because it was near the theater and two..it had a brunch menu that included the stuff I love!

I have to admit I have seen this place for years but thought it was either a "hole in the wall" or a local hang-out". It's located on the corner of 9th Ave & 53rd St. I've noticed it many times on Menu Pages and had even considered it when I was looking for a breakfast place one morning before attending the Wendy Williams Show but never went for it. But this time, I decided to try it.

I didn't think to make reservations so it was a surprise to see a horde of people waiting outside and the place was jumping! I was told it would be a 10 minute wait which wasn't a problem. Today happened to be a beautiful sunny day. It was less than 10 minutes when my name was called and we were led to a perfect table for 2 next to a wall and window.


(Stock Photo)

Winnie & I ordered the #3. Waffles with bananas, strawberries, whipped cream and a side of sausages. The brunch special comes with juice and coffee or tea.



That first perfect bite of waffle, strawberry, banana, whipped cream, syrup and sausage was heaven. The waffle was fluffy inside, crisp outside and soaked up just enough syrup that it was sheer delight when it touched my tongue. I ate every single bite.

Being a Sunday...I was able to park on the streets of Manhattan free of charge. I found a spot on 9th Ave and 50th St. I hadn't noticed it but I was under a tree. Not even a large big branch tree. But it turned out to be a "toilet tree" because yes, my car was covered. Winnie is my witness. It was...to say the least...a sight to behold. Obviously this wasn't my fault but I felt judged all the same. My first thought was to head to the closest car wash but then remembered it was forecast to rain the next day. When I got home...I pulled on rubber gloves and was able to clean it all off. I saved the car wash cost and worked off some of that waffle and sausage. Life is still good. :-)

No comments: