Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dinner at Nikki's

Nikki wanted to have a small dinner party and invited Kris and myself. She & Tom had a race to run earlier at the Bronx Zoo and a party after 9pm so they had a pretty full day. Kris & I arrived around 5pm.

I made an appetizer of roasted asparagus, Prosciutto & mozzarella on thinly sliced toasted French baguette. Kris made bacon cheddar cheese stuffed mushrooms. Nikki roasted a chicken surrounded by root veggies. And I brought along a "sinfully chocolate cake"...and yep, it was pretty sinful.

My appetizer dish was very good. The roasted asparagus was very easy to make...tossed it with olive oil & salt and in the oven at 425 for 7 minutes. I melted mozzarella on the bread while it toasted and then added the spears before draping it with paper-thin strips of Prosciutto.


Kris' mushrooms which was a stuffing of bacon, garlic, bread cubes, mushroom stems and cheddar. The combination was very tasty...it was, as Nikki said, as if we were having a mini cheddar bacon cheeseburger.



Nikki stuffed a chicken with lemon, garlic & thyme and roasted it with potatoes, carrots and onion. The skin was crispy and the meat juicy and fragrant with the citrus-y flavors.




I brought along my Soda Stream machine and made seltzer water which we flavored with an orange/mango mix. So easy. Cold glasses of milk accompanied our dessert.



Lupe danced around us hoping for any stray tidbits. When he knew he was going to get a treat, he sat patiently waiting at attention.


He's gotten so big!


We had good food with lots of laughs. It was a fun night.
Thanks, Nic!

No comments: