Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Spontaneity Is a Good Thing

Last night, Winnie received a last minute invitation to attend the Martha Stewart show this morning! She asked me to join her and I didn’t hesitate. Afterall, I didn’t have anything planned. (This is one of those reasons why I don’t think I could start working again!…I would lose this ability to do spur of the moment stuff!)

We met up on a brutally cold morning in front of the studio. There were already quite a few people on line. But we got in with no problem. In the past, Martha used to have “breakfast” - croissants or danish with Vitamin water. But now all they offer is a small bottle of water. Another sign of the economic crisis. No worries, Winnie and I had plans to have Thai food for lunch.

I had been watching the show and Martha had been featuring a segment called “Must Have” for the month of January. She would showcase an item that she felt was a “must have” and then she also gave one to the audience. Yesterday she gave a sonic toothbrush. On Monday it was goose-down jackets for your dog but she only gave a dog tag to the audience members.

Today we saw a segment on poaching chicken and fish. Three utensils were used…a reamer, a Chinese strainer and a Microplane. She gave all three to us. Yay! The funny thing is I just purchased a Microplane for Nikki and gave it to her last week. I love this “gadget” and already have 2 of them. I don’t have and always wanted the reamer and Chinese strainer. So I was extremely pleased.

Then there was a segment on crafting…working with scrapbook paper to be exact. OMG…heaven!! And when she announced she was giving a packet of paper - I was over the moon. Yes, I know…so easy to please me! Winnie was sweet and also gave me her pack of paper. She said she wouldn’t be using it. I am already thinking of ways to use it for her.

When we were leaving, the items are given to you as you are exiting. Winnie noticed tote bags filled with the items on the floor and exclaimed…”Oh…we get the tote bag also” but then we saw small black shopping bags being handed out. So we thought the tote bags were for the next show until we noticed they ran out of the small black bags and were now handing out the totes and we were part of that group!! Another YAY!



I asked the person that was handing out the bags if his name was Kyle and it was. Nikki worked with him during her stint on “Whatever, Martha” with Martha’s daughter, Alexis. When I told him I was Nikki’s mother, he gave me a huge hug and a brilliant smile and said he was so happy I was able to come to the show. As I walked off with goodies in hand, I couldn’t agree with him more! Thanks, Winnie, it was so much fun! (P.S. Another tote to add to my collection!)

No comments: