Saturday, January 10, 2009

All a Game!

I was thinking that I really should have made this a “Shopping Blog” because that is probably my main past time. Whether I’m shopping for food, clothes or incidentals, I am always on the lookout for a bargain. It is a real strategy game.

If for example, I am running low on my toilet tissue and I am partial to Scott’s brand - I begin to look for a sale. The weekly drug store or supermarket circulars are perfect. I get a packet of them on Wednesday and in one sitting am able to see what is the better deal. This week was Stop n’ Shop where they were offering the 20 pack Scott for $9.99. I don’t shop there regularly but this would be a worthwhile trip. Besides the Scott sale, they were having a sale on Porterhouse Steak ($4.99 a pound) & ground beef ($2.39 a pound) and when I picked up a 4.5 pound value pack, there was a $2 off coupon to be taken by the cashier! This will last me for at least a month if not more.

This week CVS is running a Buy one Get one 50% off sale on their store brand. Winnie gave me a $3 off coupon to be used on any of their brand products. I ended up getting their brand of Ibuprofen that was $3.49 and their Chapstick for 99 cents….all ending up costing me $1!

Staples Dollar Week is coming to a close but I was able to pick up a pack of 4 Multi color Sharpies and a 3 pack of Pilot V-Ball pens - each for a dollar. I went back to see if I could get another pack of pens (I like them very much) and instead found Staples 4 pack of Rolling Ball pens for 50 cents! (Very similar)

Update on my reusable tote bags. The Promise bag came within 2 weeks of sending out the form. I finally received the coupon for the free Target reusable tote. The catch is the coupon expires on 1.31.09. Yesterday I went to the Target near me and only saw the 99 cent red Target bags near the registers and when I asked an associate where the bigger totes were, she told me they hadn’t had those totes in a long time. Hmmm…I was not happy and I did not believe her.

I came home and went on line and saw the nice big bag which Target calls the “Retote” and the cost of this bag is $5.99. The coupon has a maximum value of $6.59. I was determined to find this tote.

I went to another Target and didn’t even see the 99 cent bags near the check out counters. I looked through the aisle where they carry bags, totes and purses but it was not there and this made me wonder where they would place a reusable item. Cleaning section! and lo and behold…there they were!!! It is a nicer bigger sturdier tote than the typical reusable bags. Worth the trip and once again, winning the game!

No comments: