Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Starting Today

I am entering the Modern Age. I am blogging. Wow! I am not sure what this Blog will be about…but what I always enjoy is the simple observances of everyday life.

I turned 50 (Yikes) a year and a half ago and still can’t believe it. Half a century. Yuck.



Within the last month, I opened a Pandora’s Box. Was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and Diabetes. Groan. I don’t think I have read so many labels on packages in all my life. It is amazing the “junk” I was putting in my body but I so wish I could still do that! Right now, I would eat pie…lots of pie. Blueberry…Apple…Coconut Custard…. Yeah…pie would be good right about now.


I picked up sugar free items the other day. I told my sister, Kathy…I am old! She said I wasn’t old…that getting sugar free stuff didn’t mean that but have you seen who stands in front of those items…OLD PEOPLE!


And I have been monitoring my glucose level. Pricking my finger in the morning and getting excited or discouraged at the result. I haven’t been put on meds since I am border-line so I am trying to control it first with diet and exercise. So far the diet is kind of working. I can really get my levels down if I don’t eat! But obviously I can’t do that all the time…although I would probably lose a lot of weight…a kind of nice side effect. Let’s face it…that’s how I got here…I am overweight and need to lose all those pounds.


My dad also had HBP and HC…and I am most definitely my father’s daughter. God, I miss him. He passed away 6 years ago but I sense him around me all the time. I will be mentioning him from time to time. He was a huge presence in my life.


So this is the beginning of a possibly wonderful experience. At least for me.

1 comment:

Winnie said...

Great picture Young At Heart! I hear you loud and clear and I am in the same boat as you, but I needed a lifesaver. By the time I got the triple whammy, I was put on meds to help get my numbers down. I know you can do it and we will continue to support each other. Can't wait for your next installment!