When I entered first grade, my teacher was also Chinese, Mrs. Mok. She was Chinese who spoke perfect English. I liked Mrs. Mok but the one moment that stands out in my mind during that time was standing in the middle of the classroom trying to say “Thank You” correctly. I kept saying “Tank you”…sigh…I’m sure it was as frustrating to Mrs. Mok as it was to me. I think I finally got it right but maybe not during first grade. But definitely in time to thank the customers at the store!
My dad spoke English having attended an ESL class when he arrived into the United States. My mother’s English was/is very broken. For example, when a customer came in to our grocery store asking for something we didn’t carry ..she would say “No any more” and dismissed the person. I think she still does this even though we no longer have the store!
Here's mom,dad and baby me:
No comments:
Post a Comment