Thursday, October 16, 2008

Breakfast First, School Whenever!

I am first generation Chinese American. The oldest of 3 daughters. Apparently when I entered Kindergarten, I didn’t speak English but I don’t remember that. These days English is my primary language and Chinese, a very distant second. It makes me wonder how I adapted. And it goes to show how quickly children pick up on things. Even though it’s been decades and decades and decades (okay..you get the picture) since I’ve been in Kindergarten, I do vaguely remember being in class. Almost all my classmates were also Chinese since I lived in Chinatown and went to the public school on Mulberry Street -PS 23. I remember taking naps…painting with tempera paint on the easels with the large tear away sheets of thin beige paper - brushing large bold strokes in primary colors…I do believe I used mostly red, my favorite color. And I remember playing in the “kitchen” which was kid-sized and made of wood. I don't remember speaking with anyone, including the teacher, Mrs. Peters. But I must have, I would think. Except I was in that "speak only when spoken to" category so maybe all I did was sing my ABC's and 123's.

Here’s my class photo. I am 2nd from the right, in the blue flowered dress. In the first row, from the left is Winnie (in the red dress) and Andra (in the light blue dress) - I am still close to them! I see Winnie all the time and am in contact with Andra frequently. Pretty wonderful!



I attended the morning session and my dad would take me before he opened his grocery store for business. My mother found out I was late every morning and she couldn't understand it since my dad and I left home on time. It turned out my dad would take me across the street to King Sun, a local Chinese coffee shop/diner for breakfast before school! And knowing my dad, he didn't rush. Certainly I don’t remember this but I am sure I enjoyed it especially this shared private moment with just my dad and I think this is the reason why breakfast, 'til this day, is my favorite meal of the day!

No comments: