Monday, April 10, 2017

SBC - 60 & Katz's

Some people don't like to celebrate their birthday.  Don't even want to talk about it!  Not ME!!  And I laughed when I heard a poll taken that a pet peeve for some were people who celebrated their birthdays all week.  ALL WEEK???  How about all month!!  LOL!!

Today was my SBC and also the first SBC of 2017.  Seemed apropos since I am the oldest in the group and my birthday month (March) happens to come first in the year.  And today (April 10) was National Siblings Day!  And one of the first warm sunny days of the year!

Winnie got tickets to Wendy Williams and it was the first show after their 2 week hiatus.  Then we headed downtown...LES...

Katz's Delicatessen is a landmark on the LES located on E.Houston St.  And made famous when it was featured in the movie "When Harry Met Sally".  I lived in the area for over 20 years and my mom is still in Chinatown and I visit her once a week and still, I've never dined there!  I don't think I even ever walked by!  So this was two-fold.  Besides my SBC celebration and my love of pastrami (good pastrami!) - it was also a bucket-list check-off!  I was very excited!!

Kathy having been there a few years ago - knew the drill.  And there's a drill.  It is CHAOS in there so be prepared!!  We were lucky to follow Kathy who - if nothing else - is a stickler for details!

As you enter the place - you are given a ticket (like the kind you get at a carnival) - keep that in your possession as if you just got the winning lottery ticket!!  Stand in one of the "Cutter" lines.  Once it is your turn, give your order and have a tip in hand.  Make sure the cutter sees you put the tip in the glass that's in front of you filled with $$ bills!  You will get a "tasting" of whatever you ordered. Ask for mix pickles.  After your order is ready, give your ticket to the cutter and he will write the amount of your order on it.  You need a ticket even if you didn't order anything and your partner did.  Go to a table and enjoy!!  Water is available in the rear of the restaurant.  As you depart, you hand in your ticket and the cashier totals you up.  You cannot leave without handing in your ticket...otherwise you are "fined" $50!!  It seems like a crazy system but apparently it works.  Though I don't know if you would feel this way if you lost/threw away/misplaced your ticket and have to pay that $50!!

First bite?  Oh yeah!  Closed my eyes and went Hmmmmmm and then Ahhhhhh....and then just euphoria.  At $20 a sandwich and the fact it's very fatty, juicy, heart-rendering meat - I wouldn't have it many times but as a treat - it is a true treat!  Thanks, SBC!!

Wendy's!!




In front of Katz but the sun was bright and I
missed the sign!!

Super busy!





From Connie's camera

Here comes a TASTE!! Thanks, Kathy!!

Winnie & Kathy conferring - at different cutters

Our pastrami on rye - mine with mustard

Check out the array of pickles!!









Darn!!  Cut off the "Katz"!! 
Windy but sunny and got the Katz sign! 

No comments: