06.01.16 - Day 2 started out as another sunny warm day but not as warm as the day
before. We really lucked out on the weather.
For breakfast, we went cheap and cheerful - Burger King - about 4-5 blocks
away along Market Street. Turned out Market Street is named appropriately!
Lots of shopping - right up my alley! While at BK, I could spot Century 21 on
one corner, Ross Stores on another! I was in shopper's heaven. I had forgotten to pack
my styling brushes (arghhh) and was on the look-out for a cheap brush. Ross was
a must-go-to! I saw brushes but not what I wanted and instead found a lovely
top.
Returning to the hotel, we checked-out and drove over to the Hilton which
was on the same street - Arch but 7 blocks away. Once again, I self-parked and we were able to get a room (832). (Half hour later, I happened to passed through the lobby
and a couple had to wait for a room!)
After dropping off our stuff, we left to ventured into Chinatown - to look
for one of those ubiquitous discount stores for my brush. On the way out,
noticed a line of people across the way at a newly opened Dunkin' Donuts. Not
to miss out on a happening...we went to checked it out and walked away with free
ice coffee!
Sipping on our coffee, we wandered the blocks of Chinese restaurants, bakeries, markets and no discount store! Winnie finally stopped a young lady and we were only half a block from one! Found my brush for $2.99 and was very relieved. That brush will stay in my go-away bag so I will always have one on hand!
| NYC needs a gate! |
Our next to-visit place was next door to our hotel. The Reading Terminal
Market. Wow! Walking in and seeing all the various stalls and their wares was
overwhelming. After a quick walk-through, we split up to decide on what to
order for lunch and would meet back in the room to eat. Besides eateries, there
was a produce market and stalls that sold cookware, cookbooks, crafts and
kitchenware. There are nearly 80 vendors so a little something for everyone's
taste. I wasn't super hungry and couldn't decide between pizza or a muffuletta
at Beck's Cajun Cafe. I opted for the latter...because I could always get pizza
but a muffuletta? By the way, Winnie went with Dinic's famous roast pork and
broccoli rabe sub. And I couldn't pass up on Beiler's - a Pennsylvania Dutch
bakery that showcased these amazing doughnuts. Only 99c for one, $5.50 for half
a doz, I picked up 6. Coconut Cream-filled, Boston Cream, Key Lime,
Strawberry-filled, Mocha cream and Salted Caramel. Can I tell you how happy I
was? And I hadn't even tasted them yet. When I finally got to bite into
one...I swore I died and went to heaven!
As it were, the rest of our day allowed us to work off all that food! We
set out for the Philadelphia Museum of Art. A little under 2 miles to PMA, we
passed City Hall and the Love Park. The roads leading to PMA from City Hall got
tricky with construction and traffic circles but when it came into sight, it was
as if we ran up the Rocky steps. Turned out those steps aren't as bad as they
look!
They moved the Rocky statue from the top of the steps to the side of the
museum. We waited our turn to take pics. And then climbed the steps which has
landings making it easier than anticipated. Once up, I felt a drop. Rain
shower. Just in time to have reached the museum. We paid $5 for both of us and
roamed the different galleries. Seeing the masters and the Asian section was
enjoyable. By the time we headed out, the skies had cleared, temps cooled off
and we had walked over 25,000 steps!
Hotel was on 11th St - Cheesecake Factory (Winnie wanted to use her
giftcard) is on 15th. We went straight to the restaurant knowing if we stopped
at the hotel first, we wouldn't want to go back out that way especially with
Chinatown and the Reading Terminal within steps of us. Good decision. Had a
great dinner of fish tacos, tuna tartare and veggie "sticks".
Had another great day - caught all the sights we wanted to see. Awesome trip with a great friend!
No comments:
Post a Comment