I think I have had to ruminate (more my mom's thing than mine but here it is) about my Thanksgiving this year. So many pros and cons. Main con: not being with my family. Main pro: being with Nikki & Tom.
I knew this year we wouldn't have Nikki & Tom. We had them last year and it is fair that they alternate holidays. All the same...it was sad for me to think I wouldn't be with them during their first "as a married couple" Thanksgiving. Then it was settled that Kris & Baz wouldn't be coming up so Kathy & Tony decided to stay in Florida. That left me, Bicky and her family and mom. As I tried to plan things with Bicky, I received the invitation from the Favilla family to join them. It was a tug-a-war for a moment but in the end, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. First Thanksgiving that I didn't prepare the turkey, buy all the groceries and be with at least, one of my sisters. Very strange indeed.
It was also surreal to play the "mother-in-law" part. Because Tom & Nikki drove me to his Aunt Gloria's house on Long Island. I was in the back seat!! It's rare these days for me not to be the driver! But I was grateful that he did insist on it since Aunt Gloria lives out of the way and there were many twists and turns before getting to her house
Gloria and Frank live in Bayville which is located on Long Island Sound overlooking Connecticut. It's a village within Oyster Bay. Their deck looks out onto the water. It was quite lovely. Maryanne, the oldest of the Favilla siblings greeted me first and the party was on. Here's the rundown: Maryanne (Mary) is married to Buddy and they have 2 children: Donna and John. Donna is married to Frank and they have 2 children: Frank (7) and Gia (5). John is in a long term relationship with Laura who happens to be Yo Yo Ma's niece and had attended LaGuardia Music and Art. And yes, Nikki & she have mutual friends. All the above were present at the dinner.
Next is Diane, 15 months apart from Mary. She is married to Ed. There was a brother, Vinny who drown when he was 11. There's Gloria and Frank. Then Joe who live out in California and the last 2 boys, Ralph (Tom's father) and Frankie (Tom's best man's Michael's father). Joe & Frankie were not there. All night long, I kept trying to keep everyone's names in my head. I'm not that young anymore! There were 16 of us and Mary, thankfully, kept close to me.
As anxious as I felt prior to arriving, by the end of the evening, it was delightful and everyone made me feel very comfortable. Frank, who is quite the cook and Gloria were consummate hosts and the food and drink kept coming. I got to know the family and much of their history but I am sure with 6 siblings, there are many more stories to tell.
 |
| Dinner Table - First course: Fruit Cocktail |
 |
| My plate - a little of everything! |
 |
| Dessert spread |
 |
| My plate: a little of everything :) |
 |
| Laura & John |
 |
Favilla siblings & spouses: left to right: Gloria, Frank, Diane, Ed, Ralph, Buddy & Mary
|
 |
| My Kids |
No comments:
Post a Comment