Saturday, November 29, 2014

I Done Good!

This year's American Express Small Business Saturday felt a bit like a scavenger hunt...at least for me.  I had a list of where I wanted to go...what I wanted to buy and limited everything to about $10.
I had registered 3 Amex cards and with 3 $10 cash back allowed on each card. I had 9 different transactions to go for.  It took 5 hours to complete my "quest" with a lunch break in between but in the end...well worth the effort!

I took my car.  And was glad I did because it's amazing how heavy a few bags can get!  I was able to find free parking near 63rd Drive and walked the 3 blocks down to Queens Blvd.  My first stop was Lot-Less.  I thought I would be in and out but no...not what happened.  I had wanted to get a new iPad cover but they didn't have anything I liked so now I had to browse the aisles.  I ended up getting 3 pairs of readers, (which I always have use for), a 3-pack of socks and emery boards. The total came to $10.68.  Which meant I would only be paying 68 cents.


 I went next door to Ben's Best and got a pastrami on rye...$14.10.


Next was Rego Bagels - a store that I must have passed hundreds of times and never visited.  Picked up a dozen assorted bagels for $10.20 and their dozen comes out to 15 bagels!  I will have to share...I can't eat 15 ...uh...14 (already ate one) bagels!


Across the street is Planet Wings and I picked up an order of 15 Teriyaki boneless wings for $13.05.


With the bagel purchase and the pastrami, I needed a supermarket.  I wanted to pick up cream cheese and club rolls.  But none of the ones in the area were participating so I went home to have lunch (eating one of the bagels which was very good!) and researched what other stores I could go to.  I was thrilled to discover that Good Fortune - my favorite Chinese Supermarket was on the list.

After my short break, I drove back to 63rd Drive where I made another run at LL...getting a scarf and pancake mix for $10.98.  Then I drove to Good Fortune.  I picked up my favorite oyster sauce (the expensive kind and the biggest bottle they had) - a rib-eye steak, cream cheese, club rolls and Haagen Daz ice cream bars.  I did 2 separate transactions...one $10.11 and another at $10.48.


My last and final (I wasn't able to do all 9) was Manny's for their Bandeja Paisa dish @$13.35.  A heavy loaded dish of grilled top round steak, pork rind, rice and beans, sweet plantain, avocado and a fried egg! Happy dance, anyone?


The best part?  Each time I made a purchase - Amex emailed me thanking me for participating which pretty much means...I will be getting my $10 rebates!

My total charges came to $92.95 but I should only be out of pocket $12.95.

Going to go eat now. And for a long time after....:-)  I did my part for small businesses!

No comments: