Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Peace

Last night I had to say my final goodbye to a friend.



Jane at the beach

When I worked at Home Lines Cruises at the World Trade Center, my immediate boss was Michael Ford who later became my business partner when we started CSI Tour Planners. Mike and I worked together at Home Lines for 6 1/2 years and in all that time, I never knew he had a brother. His sister, Kathy used to call all the time so I knew of her. Only when we opened our business, I met Allie. Allie had 2 children, Pam & Alfie who were college-age at the time and we hired them to work for us, meeting and greeting passengers at the airport. Allie came up to the office to visit quite often and with the kids working for us, I got to know them all well and considered them "family".

Allie & Jane

When Mike was dying in the hospital and I went to see him in ICU, basically for the last time, I had brought Nikki (5 1/2 at the time) and will never forget Pam befriending my shy daughter and keeping her company while I dealt with an extremely sad situation. My wonderful daughter accompanied me last night to also pay her respects.

Pam is the sweetest girl with the sweetest mother, Jane. I have to admit that I didn't know Jane as well as the rest of the family but whatever I knew of her and whenever I saw her at functions or events, she was simply the nicest of people. But I knew the apple didn't fall from the tree and Pam always spoke so lovingly of her mom, I knew her without knowing her.

So having "grown up" with Pam...watching her graduate, going through various boyfriends, getting engaged and married and then becoming a mother herself...of three...it's a lifetime of a relationship. The "Ford" family is very near and dear to my heart. Mike came to me to become a partner in business at the perfect time in my life. Nikki was just about to start school and since we were based in Queens making my time flexible, I was allowed to be active in Nikki's early school years.


Pam & Don's beautiful family

Abby, Cali Rae and Ben

Jane was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 10 years ago and at the time, I remembered hoping that Jane would make it long enough to see Pam married and when she did, then I hoped that she would be around for her grandchildren. She was apparently given 2 years and had 10. She was able to know her 6 grandchildren and they certainly got to know her.




With Alfie

Her son, Alfie gave a wonderful, funny and emotional speech at the end of the night. He thanked everyone for the support his family has received and then went on to praise his mom in the most eloquent and loving way. I can almost see Jane looking down, blushing but being so proud of her children. As she should be - she did a great job in the Mother department. The most difficult job there is. Jane fought a long and hard battle but she accomplished what she wanted - to know her babies' babies. We will miss you. Be at Peace, Jane.


The boys: Charlie, Ben & AJ
The girls: Cate, Cali Rae & Abby


The last moments

(Photos from Pam's collection)

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Really beautiful post, Dee. Jane was obviously well-loved. xo