Friday, April 30, 2010

Road to Atlantic City

A couple of months ago, Winnie invited me to share in a deal she signed up for. A one night stay at Harrah's in Atlantic City. It was a Bzz promotion. $55 for one night which included a room in their new Waterfront Tower, Buffet for 2, admission to their After Dark Pool club, Red Door spa & Fitness center and valet parking. Sounded good to me! We planned on April 28th.

I picked Winnie up at 10am in Chinatown. She picked up dim sum from Hop Shing for the road. We went by way of the Holland Tunnel and we were well on our way. The drive was without incident and 2 1/2 hours went by in no time with us chatting away. We made one pit stop where I also took a moment to have some of the dim sum and filled up the tank as well. As it turned out, we were a mile from the Atlantic City exit!


Arrived!

We got to the hotel at 1pm. Valet parking is a pleasure. Although check-in was 4pm, we were lucky to get a room right away. We were located on the 39th floor with a water-view. The room was spacious with 2 queens sized beds, a sitting area for 2 and a bathroom that was a dream. A 48 inch flat screen TV on the wall was a welcomed touch.


Our Room


Our View

We freshened up and went to the Total Rewards desk. Winnie had read on the forums that they offered a coupon book. I registered and received a membership card and when we looked through our booklet, we found many coupons but 2 in particular were of interest. A free T-shirt with 30 minutes of play on the slots or tables in one day and a 2 for 1 at the buffet. For breakfast the next day, perhaps?

We immediately played the slots and I won $2. I stopped. Winnie was down $10 and with that, we went back to the room to changed for the indoor pool.

If only the MGM had an indoor pool when we were in Vegas and it was 50 degrees. We would have been able to have enjoyed it like we did here at Harrah's. Set at a balmy 82 degrees, it was a wonderful treat to relax on the lounges and even take a refreshing dip in the pool.


The Pool

Anticipating dinner, we dressed up and were pleased that we didn't have to wait on any lengthy line. We wanted to pace ourselves for this feast. There were 9 different stations representing an international menu. There was dim sum, sushi, Rodizio, Italian goodies, Mexican, Mongolian hot pot/stir fry, Chinese selections, steak grilled to order, all American favorites of fried chicken and mac n'cheese, heaps of snow crab legs, shrimp, clams and salmon. There was the ubiquitous salad bar, soup bar and of course, the dessert bar. Suffice it to say, we rolled out of there...2 hours later!! There were the good and not so good but for the most part, we were pretty happy.

We wanted to try for the T-shirt so after a little rest, we went in search of the roulette wheel. But because it was evening, the minimum was $10. We spotted new machines...video roulette. Winnie was sold. I went on to play some slots and after losing a total of $30 - called it a night. But I was pretty sure I reached my 30 minute goal for the freebie. Winnie never left her roulette machine and walked away up $10.50.

The next morning, I still felt full from the buffet! I didn't think I could handle the buffet for lunch even if it meant we didn't utilized the 2 for 1 coupon. But we did use a $10 off $30 at another restaurant which we used for breakfast. Sated and happy, we went and redeemed our T-shirt coupon. I joked that my T-shirt cost me $30. But taking a chance, I decided to play $5 more and came away with an additional $10 so that my T-shirt ended up costing $20!



Time spent with my BFF...priceless..:-)

No comments: