Friday, April 9, 2010

Looped!

For years while with CSI, Daniel and I used a broker, Greg for Broadway shows. He would sell pretty good orchestra tickets for a great price. Each week he would send a listing of shows and every once in awhile, a Fire Sale on a show or concert. I have taken advantage quite abit and have never been disappointed by the seats nor the show.

Two weeks ago, he sent an email advising possible tickets to a new show, "Looped" starring Valerie Harper. I had just seen her profiled on CBS Sunday Morning and I didn't immediately recognized her made up as Tallulah Bankhead and the premise was fascinating. So I let Greg know I would be interested. As soon as he had tickets, he contacted me and we finalized tickets for April 15th. Last week he had to tell me the show was closing on Sunday (April 11th) and would I be able to go this week. I got tickets for last night and took Nikki with me.



Nikki happens to be working on the same street as the show so I took the subway in and met her by her office. We had 2 hours before the show and she had given me some options on where to eat and I went with burgers at H&B Burger..(Heartland Brewery). I ordered a Cheddar burger with onion marmalade and pickles and Nikki ordered a bison burger with Swiss cheese. We shared an order of sweet potato fries. People had spoke of, written about really good burgers...divine burgers...fantastic burgers...and it always sounded good but I felt...a burger was a burger. But last night, I finally understood. My burger was excellent! The beef was tender, moist and flavorful. WOW! And it was perfect size-wise. Not gigantic since I'm trying to watch my diet in anticipation of my high school reunion in (yikes) 2 weeks.



It was a beautiful evening and Nikki had brought along a coconut Greek yogurt that she wanted me to try. We sat at the Time Square Plaza to have my very yummy "dessert" and at the assigned time, we went off to meet Greg who was bringing the tickets half hour before curtain. I never met him in all the years I had dealt with him and as I was about to...Nikki asked me to quickly tell her what I thought he looked like but in all honesty, I never thought about it so couldn't give a description and then there he was waving at us and not looking like anything I would have imagined. He is very tall and slim and Caucasian.

Our seats were 8th row right on the aisle. Fabulous. The 2 seats next to us were empty as Greg told me they would be. The show was very good and Valerie Harper - marvelous, darling! I am surprised it's closing. Too bad. I'm happy to have caught it and some things that were brought up regarding Tallulah Bankhead has me wondering if it's true...such as the notion that Tennessee Williams wrote the part of Blanche Du Bois for Tallulah. She ended up not doing it and it made Jessica Tandy a star.

No comments: