Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Birthdays, Dinosaurs & Baseball

My girlfriend, Ronna who I have known since 1983 - meeting at Home Lines Cruises where we worked together - turned 50 in August. I went to her home in Virginia to celebrate and as it happened, her daughter Izzy (Isabel-my god-daughter) had her 9th birthday a couple of days before my arrival so it was a double whammy.

I flew from LaGuardia to Dulles airport on United on a 50 seater. I hadn’t flown in 2 years which that in itself was a wonder. I was a bit of a basket case prior to getting to the airport but not because of actually being in the air. No…I was freaking out over getting through security. I didn’t want anyone to single me out or have any of my things thrown away because it wasn’t allowed. While I was at home, I was manic with my one quart sized bag. Putting items in, taking it back out and then back in again. It was ridiculous. I finally put it to rest and am happy to report that it went through x-ray with nary a glance from the TSA’s.

The flight was quick and smooth. Although it was light rain, we didn’t have any turbulence….thank goodness. I had flown to Dulles many times and knew the lay of the land but having been absent for 2 years, didn’t know all the new construction that had taken place at the airport so actually got lost. I was to meet Ronna upstairs at “arrivals” since it’s less congested and we have done this dozens of times with no problem but this time, I couldn’t find my way to get to that level. I had to ask information which was quite amusing because the agent thought I was meeting someone who just arrived on a flight. I finally got outside and found Ronna and all was well.

Then I was up and running, so to speak. After taking me directly to Costco after the airport, we went to pick up the kids from school. I helped Izzy with her homework which was something I haven’t done in a very long time -if ever! (Sorry, Nikki) That evening was quiet. We were gearing up for the rest of the weekend!

Friday morning was somewhat leisurely. I was able to wake up late (9am) and relaxed while Ronna ran on the treadmill. After lunch, we went to Target where I picked up the cutest nightgown printed with puppies for Izzy and also a Webkins stuffed animal…the red fox. We picked up the kids, Izzy, Derek - her 10 year old brother and my god-son and also Zack who is Derek’s best bud since he was an invitee to Izzy’s birthday party that night along with 6 other of Izzy’s girlfriends. Oh…and these 9 kids were staying overnight. Whew!

Derek.Izzy & Zack

Mark, Ronna’s husband works for Turner construction (they built the new Yankee stadium among others) and they had just obtained a suite at the Verizon Center. Mark reserved the suite for Izzy’s party to see the show “Walking with Dinosaurs”. All I can say is WOW!! It was fabulous. The suite, (my first time in one) was something I almost wish I didn’t get to experience since now that’s all I want - was really a luxury. A private bathroom…a bar…comfortable seating and delicious food and snacks - plus a great view of the show. The show was incredible with very life like and life-size dinosaurs. The production was very well done resulting in one of Izzy’s friends to exclaimed “This is the best show ever!”



The McKennas

As you can imagine, the girls had trouble settling down in their sleeping bags in the basement. It was incredible what 9 year old girls talk about!! Everything from fashion, the latest songs, kissing and would you believe pole dancing! My bedroom happened to be there also but I was so tired that I didn’t even care about the noise. Ronna said they finally all fell asleep by 12:30am after numerous warnings.


The girls

I had to get up early the next morning. Derek’s first little league game was Saturday morning at 9am. I wanted to go with Derek and Mark to be able to catch the whole game. This year, Derek is a Yankees! And he chose to be number…2...!! It was a perfect morning for a game and they won 9-7. Derek walked at his first at bat and then had a hit at his second at bat. It was really fun and exciting and I enjoyed it tremendously. They have certainly improved from the last time I saw them play.


Derek at bat with a hit

We had an hour break before taking off for Mark’s company picnic. Hamburgers, hot dogs and pulled pork along with all the fixings was the menu. A dessert contest supplied the sweets. The picnic ended with bingo where Derek was one of the winners. We spent quite a few hours there and moved on just prior to dinner time.

Derek is a rocker at heart. Ronna discovered a place called “School of Rock” geared towards kids who want to form a band and perform. At the end of their semester, the kids get to perform at a local club and that night there was a performance which the family wanted to check out. I didn’t know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. The vocals may have been so-so but the instrumentals were…awesome. It was pretty great and Derek loved it. After the 2 hour show, we ordered Chinese take out to have at home. The kids crashed as soon as we got home.

Sunday was a day set aside for Ronna and myself. This was our spa day and I treated Ronna to a facial, massage and lunch afterwards. I myself had a 75 minute massage that was very welcomed. After lunch, we strolled at an outlet and once again we had simply wonderful weather. Dinner was at Kobe which is their favorite hibachi/sushi restaurant for celebrations. Each and every time I have visited, I have dined there. We had an early evening so that the kids could get to bed being a school night. Izzy read to me for 20 minutes before succumbing to sleep.

Ronna and I ended up chatting and reminiscing until 2am! But I did learn something new. Football. I never understood the game but they were watching the Giants/Cowboys game and Ronna walked me through it and I was lucky that it was a very exciting game for a first-timer like me. I think I will be a Giants fan.

I flew home the next afternoon. A very jam-packed few days that have left me a bit turned around so that it will be a few days before I settle back into my routine. But I am glad I got to celebrate my good friend’s big year and Izzy’s creeping closer to double digits.

No comments: