Monday, December 29, 2008

Ideal

I had one of those really great days yesterday. All spent with Nikki. We had plans to meet up with her grandparents on her father’s side for dim sum. She doesn’t get to see them much and it was a chance to visit with the whole family. Nikki met me in Forest Hills and we went to a restaurant that is near where her grandparents live. They've changed ownerships so many times, I can't remember the name. Nikki's father, his wife, her Aunt Julia, Uncle Ray and cousin, Richie joined us. The food was good and plentiful.

The weather was extremely warm for this time of year and the predicted rain held off. I had asked Nikki if she would be interested in going to IKEA afterwards and she agreed. I only hoped it wouldn’t be a zoo but I figured since Nikki was already out in Queens, we could make this run without her having to come in again in the next few days.

The ride out there was a breeze and although the store was busy, it wasn’t horrible. We found many items to purchase - many on sale. I really wanted their canvas drawer organizers I had picked up the last time I was there and found them very useful.


My Ikea Goodies

I had seen in the Sunday news, Target’s circular and saw that they had a Sony Cyber Shot digital camera on sale. I have had my camera for the longest time…it is a 3.2 mega pixel…that’s how old it is! Target is in the mall right next door to IKEA so I asked Nic if we could just stop in to take a look. The camera looked beautiful and it didn’t show it as on sale but I asked if they had it in stock. They did and at the sale price of $99. I was very happy. We went on to look at clothes since Nikki said she wanted some new sweaters. Target had a large section of clothes at 30-50% off. She found a very flattering dress and dressy top within those racks. On to shoes where we both picked up the same pair of flat boots on sale for $21. I wore them today and found them to be a nice alternative to my ubiquitous Uggs.



After that very successful shopping spree, we headed back home and since it was 6pm, I thought sushi might hit the spot. It did.


YUMMY!!

On the way to the car, I wanted to stop in Duane Reade - I saw their circular offering a “buy one get one free” on hair color but it turned out to be only on certain colors and mine wasn’t part of the deal. Nikki was looking at facial cleansers and lotions and showed me an item that was priced unbelievably. In fact, many of the items in that aisle were priced so that we kept reading the signs to make sure we were seeing it correctly. For example, L’Oreal’s Genesis moisturizer retails at $10.49 but using your Duane Reade card, it would only cost $5.24. Or a St Ives Microderm abrasion wash was $1.99 from $3.99. Other facial scrubs and foot scrubs were $1. We didn’t know what not to buy! We left with bags of goodies.


All this came to $12!

Then Nikki mentioned she was running low on detergent…I happened to have detergent left over from sale days when I was upstate. She was smart to ask me before we left Queens so we stopped at my home first where I picked up Wisk for her and a Cover Girl lip color I was evaluating for Bzz but didn’t really like. Nikki tried it and liked it.

I got Nikki back to the city by 9pm. She gave me a bag of her home made chocolate chip cookies that I got to munch on all the way home. It was, to me…a most perfectly wonderful day.


Me & My Girl

No comments: