Saturday, January 31, 2015

My Daughter's Wedding

With snow about to descend on NYC again and a frigid cold day that makes one stay indoors, it occurred to me that I haven't blogged lately.  Much has happened since I last wrote so I had to sort through what events I wanted to post when it dawned on  me that I never mentioned Nikki & Tom's big day!!  I guess between the hundreds of photos and videos and posting on Facebook and Instagram, I was all "post-out".  But this place is also a journal of sorts so how could I leave that day out?

It's been almost 5 months.  That went fast!  We did have a nice amount of time to plan for it but still...as the days led up to September 20th, it felt like we had no time at all!  Part of it was that I had very little insight into the wedding.  The Chinese banquet was my baby.  I was more than happy to be just a guest.  Though willing to help no matter what.  And as it turned out...I was needed.  I had asked to be at Nikki's place when the girls were getting ready...and as each day got closer...my sisters became incorporated too.  Thank goodness.  Kathy, who had an injured hand was still able to supervised some of the hair styling for the bridesmaids and it worked out perfectly that she did Kristina's hair at home.  She was also instrumental in making the bouquets.  But then she left.  And Nikki had a long list of to-do's that I jotted down like a harried secretary with an A-Type personality boss.  If I didn't have Evelyn with me...omigosh...I don't even want to think about it.   Because basically...we were in charge of the whole set-up...from escort cards to centerpieces to table numbers to favors to menus to restroom sundries to the Instax camera set-up to the guestbook...well...you get the picture.

The day was so perfect, I could have cried!  Not too warm, not too cold.  No rain.  As the wedding party departed from the apartment for their photo-session in the park, Evelyn & I got to work and we were frazzled.  Everyone was running behind.  What a surprise!  We still also needed to dress.  It was not fun to put on a dress & accessories while you're all sweaty but I didn't have much choice.  And my car was parked about 2 blocks away and we had 5-6 huge totes to load.  Let's just say I am glad there were no cameras around that time.

I had never been to the venue and although it was simple enough, Evelyn and I felt anxious all the same.  We did make a wrong turn but luckily it was easily rectified.  When I parked right next to the entrance of the Boathouse...that was probably the 2nd best thing of the whole day!!  And although we thought no one (other guests) would be allowed inside for at least another 45 min...we were wrong.  So as we were trying to set up, guests were walking in and until you've been through this experience - you just don't know!  Imagine you've invited 10 guests for dinner and 6 of them show up almost an hour earlier!  In the end, I just enlisted anyone who wanted to help!  I was extremely grateful for Mark, Xavier and Stan for pitching in.  And it all worked out.  Sort of since nothing is ever perfect! But it came close.

The ceremony was gorgeous and their personal vows brought me to tears.  The Boathouse is an exceptional setting with exquisite architecture and detailing in their arches, tiles and murals.   The outdoor patio area was an appealing space for people to wander in and out of.  The color scheme of pink and gray led an elegance to the whole affair.  And there was dancing galore!

But above all...the bride and groom...happiness & love written all over their faces and spilling out to their friends and family.  This was Nikki & Tom's wedding!  More friends than family.  Even with the friends of their parents, these were still people they personally had interaction with.  Not people they barely knew and were obligated to invite.  (At my own wedding, I didn't know or had ever set eyes on some of the people there!)

For me personally...it was gratifying to see Nikki's friends who I watched grow up into these successful well-adjusted adults!  And then of course, to watch my daughter start another chapter in her book of life.  Nothing could be more satisfying! Except maybe for that next chapter...wink...:)











No comments: