This year's annual 4th of July family gathering seemed less stressful from previous years - I don't know why. Same amount of people (give or take) - same amount of food and prep work - maybe it was just the beautiful weather that helped everything along. Amazing how much sweltering heat brings the mood down like it was last year.
I did have plenty of time to prepared. 4th of July passed nicely with Kathy, Tony & Kris who had flown in the night before. That was slightly worrisome since we had a hurricane in the area. Once her flight wasn't cancelled (thank the Lord!) - and then she landed a-ok even if it was a few hours later than scheduled, we all breathed a sigh of relief. It was so good to see Kris and really wonderful that she pulled off the surprise to everyone else!
I started the Pernil early the morning of the 4th. Marinating it for more than 24 hours. Whatever I could do ahead of time, I did. I made the chimichurri & sliced the onion thinly for the tomato/onion salad and put together my famous potato salad. The morning of the party - I put the pork in the oven at 11am and let it roast nice and slow. The results were perfect and I did a happy dance after a taste. We had sweet corn on the cob, rice along with all I noted above. Plus a ramen coleslaw salad, Kathy's ribs and cornbread souffle. Brownies and a chocolate mousse birthday cake rounded the rest of the meal.
Everyone was hungry so I completely forgot to take photos of the food since we all just wanted to start eating! But at least I have shots of my family and that is really more important!
No comments:
Post a Comment