This post took me so long to write and upload photos that the Open is already over! Nikki invited / treated me to the US Open on the second day of play. We got to see my favorite, Novak Djokovic (#1) and Victoria Azarenka (#2).
I started to love tennis...particularly the US Open when Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert were at the height of their success and became a short-lived couple - they were tennis's sweethearts and I love a romance more than anything. This was mid to late 70's. I got hooked. Over the years, I followed the slams on TV - resulting in Pete Sampras being my all time favorite player. I have yet to "love" a woman player - I guess if I had to name one, it would still be Chris Evert.
I have attended a few US Open matches held in Flushing Meadows. Never at the old Forest Hills stadium. The Billie Jean King National Tennis Center housing Arthur Ashe, Louis Armstrong, Grandstand and the surrounding smaller courts plus a wonderfully varied food court - is a great experience. This visit was Nikki's first time and I'm so happy I got to share it with her. We were so lucky we had an exceptionally beautiful night for the matches - no - gulp - rain. PS: Nadal won the Men's and Serena won the Women's.
.jpg) |
| Food Court seating |
.jpg) |
| In front of Arthur Ashe |
.jpg) |
| Gift shop |
.jpg) |
| Great view of the World's Fair sphere from the top level of Arthur Ashe |
 |
| Overlooking the side courts |
.jpg) |
| In our seats |
.jpg) |
| Djokovic |
.jpg) |
| Mayor Dinkins - always at least one appearance |
.jpg) |
| "Vitka" |
No comments:
Post a Comment