Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mexican & Salted Crack Caramel

A chance to dine with Nikki....always a good thing.

After working 6 hours, I drove to her place and asked her to decide on how to fill my empty tummy.  She asked if I wanted Mexican.  I can always go for Mexican.  I like her area with it's trendy and trending new eateries and one can never go wrong with a "foodie's" choice.

She said "Chavela's" on Franklin had great chicken Mole.  I was game but not to walk there.  Not after being 6 hours on my feet and on a muggy humid day with possible threats of a thunderstorm.  We drove over and easily found a spot.

I was thrilled that it had good AC.  And a nice lunch menu...$6.95 for a nice variety of Mexican eats. Choosing one from the left and one from the right of their "Duo" option - I got a chicken Mole soft taco and a Flor de Calabaza (squash blossom & queso Oaxaco) with an ice coffee.  Nikki ordered the tortilla soup and 1/2 torta.  So fresh, so delicious with the typical slight kick in seasoning.

My ice coffee & water in glassware that makes one
feel like you're in Mexico!
Nikki's Lunch
Mine
Nikki treated me to this excellent meal and as we left the restaurant, I asked if she would like some dessert. Ice cream in particular to which she exclaimed she knew exactly the place!  I asked her for the name and when she said "Ample Hills" - I reacted as if I had just met a movie star!  I had just seen them featured on one of the cooking shows and it looked so good that I vowed to make sure I make a visit!  A quick drive over and we were inside sample tasting their hand crafted flavors.  Nikki loves their "Ooey Gooey Butter Cake" and I couldn't resist the flavor shown on the show - "Salted Crack Caramel".  I went with a cone which was a mistake.  It's a pretty good size scoop and on such a humid day, it was melting faster than I could get it in my mouth.  But it was extremely tasty and a decadent treat.

Stock photo - Eric W.
As I said to begin with....dining with Nikki = a good thing!

No comments: