Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

The title means: Thank You Very Much in Japanese.  Because I had a Birthday lunch today.  Yes, you read that right.  And yes, it's June 5th.  About two and a half months after my birthday but if someone wants to celebrate...who am I to say "no"!  LOL

Winnie had wanted to treat me to a special sushi birthday but due to scheduling and then not feeling well...etc...it didn't happen until today but it was so worth the wait!

We went to Ichi Umi - a beautiful "all you can eat" Japanese / sushi buffet located by Herald Square.  I have heard of this place which is a block long - entrance/exit goes through 32nd to 31st St.  And I was pleasantly surprised by how beautifully appointed it was. Dark wood, with the traditional pristine, minimalist Japanese lines of design.

At the entrance

We arrived around 12:30 and  at this point, it wasn't crowded.  But it became busy as time passed.  We asked for ice water and green tea which was served immediately and constantly refilled . I started with sushi.
  
Buffet Set Up

Assorted Sushi - chefs try to keep up with the demand

My First Plate: assorted caviar / various sushi & rolls


For my second plate, I went with the "hot or cooked" food.  For the first time, I tried "Chicken Katsu" which I have seen on the menus many times, always wanted to sample but sushi always won out.  It is crispy fried tender boneless chicken with a delectable lightly garlicky seasoning.  I will be adding this to my repertoire. I also tasted their yakisoba, crab cake, sweet potato tempura, portabello mushroom over steamed fish filet and a clam concoction.  All gobbled up happily.


A server came by with a cart filled with fixings for the above.  First, a spinach & corn puree soup.  Then a cold soba noodle in a light dashi broth.  Both were refreshingly delightful.


I went back to my love of sushi for the 3rd plate.  But included edamame and the classic sesame seaweed salad.  The tuna and salmon sushi pieces melted in my mouth like butter.  There was also tile, tilapia, unagi and roe...the list goes on.


More of the Chicken Katsu but now over a small amount of white rice and I had to try the beef teriyaki freshly put out and cooked to my liking. 


Desserts were an array of fruit...watermelon, strawberries, apple, blueberries, etc and tiny cubes of assorted cakes, slivers of apple pie and puff pastries and cookies - "amuse-bouche" sweets, if you will. But I barely had any more room!

Dessert Buffet
Thank you to my BFF....for a most enjoyable and decadent treat !!

(Now it's your turn this month! :-) )

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

You have to take me there!!!!