Sunday, August 21, 2011

Surprise!

Today is an example of the ordinary & crazy of my life. Ordinary because I was invited to a surprise birthday party. Crazy because it was for my sister's ex-boyfriend from 35 years ago!

I still have a relationship with a bunch of guys that Evelyn brought home one day. For a season, they were a fixture in the house. All budding teenagers, I was already attending college. I was the "big sister". Somehow we've kept in touch through the years.

Sherman's wife, Tina invited me to Sherman's 50th surprise. Gulp! How did these "babies" become 50? Steve was attending with his wife, Halla. John & Tina couldn't make it. No one heard from Mike.

The luncheon was held in North Jersey at a bistro named Mezza Luna. Attending these events alone always makes me feel anxious. But as history repeats itself, everyone always makes me feel welcome so you would think I would get over the jitters by now.

The drive there was easy. Sherman's son Justin greeted me at the door. His daughter Tiffany and some family members and friends were already there when I arrived. But I didn't know any of them. Soon enough Steve and Halla arrived and all became good and fun.

Sherman was totally surprised. Tina definitely pulled it off...once again. I had also attended his surprise 40th and he was also stunned then.

My table consisted of Steve & Halla, Felix, Yook and their 2 kids and Sherman while Tina was up and down playing hostess.

Luncheon started with crostinis on the table and bottles of red wine. A cold antipasto (salami, cheese, peppers,etc) and a hot antipasto (clams casino, eggplant rollatini, breaded shrimp) and a platter of fried calamari started the luncheon. We had a choice of Chicken Rollatini, Veal Marsala or Salmon as an entree. I opted for the veal. Next course was a rigatoni in pink sauce followed by a light salad. After the entree, a Carvel cake came out to a chorus of Happy Birthday to You and when served, a thin slice of banana mousse cake accompanied the ice cream slice. An array of orange and melon slices was an option along with coffee or tea.

To have watched these "kids" grow up with kids of their own now either graduated from college (Tiffany working as a financial analyst at Macy's HQ), in college (Justin & Luke - Steve's son) or looking at college (Allison - Steve's daughter) kind of boggles the mind. Especially since I've stayed the same age and somehow they've all surpassed me!

Had a great time! If I can only remember that when the next event rolls around!

Photos are a mixture of stills from video and shots from the camera:


SURPRISE!!!

Sherman & Tina



Sherman & Tina

Tiffany and her BF


Halla & Steve

Justin & Tiffany

Halla & Steve

Longtime Friends

Felix & Yook with their kids

Antipasto

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

One word: AMAZING! Not sure how I feel about that sentence about me bringing home a bunch of boys but I'll let it slide. LOL