Thursday, July 28, 2011

Nature Goes On

In "Nature...a Beautiful Thing"...posting on June 13, I wrote about my plants and how I didn't want to obsess. And in a month and a half, I have been following through...kind of.

I had a large rectangular planter that held pansies last year. By the time I opened the house, it was just dried soil. But after a week or so, green sprouts started growing and I couldn't tell if it they were weeds or good plants. So I left it alone. In other pots, I dropped some zinnia seeds and some wildflower seeds and walked away.

I couldn't help but get excited when the seeds erupted into life. And 2 weeks ago, I discovered the "weeds" were not weeds but indeed...they were pansies returning. And I didn't do anything. Amazing.

Showing off my "botanical" shots





Wild Flower Pot - can't wait to see what comes up:


Zinnia on the verge of blooming:


And then there's this curiosity. When Nikki came up for 4th of July, she made pesto. And brought with her a huge bunch of basil. She didn't use it all and was going to throw out the rest but I couldn't see throwing it all away. Instead, I put bunches in cups of water. Kathy didn't feel they would take root since they were cut. One cup did turn into mush. But the other cup had hearty vivid green basil and plenty of roots. I planted them and they are thriving!

No comments: