Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lucky Year - Lucky Girl

Last week Winnie invited me to an annual event that happens in her family. Her father’s restaurant, Noodletown holds an “End of Year” banquet for the staff. They used to have the dinner at Noodletown but all the employees worked it and that didn't seem fair. About eight years ago, her father suggested reserving a restaurant and this way, everyone was free to enjoy. And in my good fortune, so did I! I hadn't been to a Chinese banquet in ages and it was a wonderful treat for me. Some different dishes from what I remembered, I totally savored and partook. In other words…I ate and ate and ate!

In order of appearance:

Lobster Salad to start(The"eyes'of the lobster lit up!)

Conch with"Hair Moss"

Fried Tofu & sugar snap peas and something unknown

My bowl of Shark's fin soup with red vinegar

Chinese Roast Chicken

Abalone

Crispy Fried T-Bone Steak

Sea Bass with ginger and scallion

Fried Rice & Longevity Noodles

As we waited for the end of dinner “sweet soup”, the wait staff gave us plates and forks. Obviously soup was not next. Instead, a platter of sliced oranges and what I thought were miniature plums were set on the table. The miniature plums were huge cherries! Both fruits were sweet and delicious and I'm not really a fruit person. Next came mini “faat go tay” the “prosperity” steamed Chinese cupcakes. After that, a platter of steam jelly-rolled cakes filled with a sweet cream. Then the sweet soup but unfortunately it wasn't the red bean Winnie anticipated but the other clear sweet soup made with snow ear fungus.

Orange slices and cherry (it went fast!)

Prosperity Cupcakes(Fat Go Tay)

Jelly-roll steamed cake

I was given the much envied doggie bag of chicken, noodles and fried rice. And on top of that, a “hung bao” that was very generous!

So let’s see. I trekked from Queens to Chinatown on a snowy day. The subway was fine - I had a seat and read my book. I got wined (literally) and dined. Given food for the next few days and money. Was surrounded by excellent company. And made it back home in under an hour. Oh…and when I was leaving and said my goodbye to Winnie's father - he said for me to let Winnie know anytime I wanted him to cook for me!

Who’s starting out her Chinese New Year in an exceptional manner??
Thank you, Winnie!! :-)

No comments: