Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Growing Up!

Today is my niece, Miranda’s 12th birthday. Twelve years ago, I was vacationing in Club Med in Mexico. It was an adults-only resort and I had a blast! No TV and more importantly - no phone so I didn’t know Evelyn had given birth to her second child. Kathy & I were hoping for a January 18th birth date. Kristina’s is Nov 19th and Nikki’s - March 17th…it was freaky and wonderful that Miranda would land smack in between them…month and date!

With her birthday coming up, I asked her mother for any gift ideas. Since Miranda’s successful back surgery, she had been on a clothes shopping binge and apparently gift cards to clothing stores would be appreciated. They had shopped at the Gap & H&M and wanted new ideas.

Thinking of “tweens’ I suggested Aeropostale, Forever 21 and Uniqlo. But in the end, both Evelyn and I agreed on Macy’s! Growing up in Chinatown, Macy’s was our “go-to” store. I knew it like the back of my hand even though it is the largest department store in the world. But to me, it was just.."Macy’s."
We did our “first day of school” clothing shopping…Xmas shopping - birthday shopping - everyday shopping - all there.

A few memorable shopping trips: With Winnie when we both purchased the trendy swing jacket. Mine was in dusty pink and I wore it a lot. I still remember seeing it in the Junior’s Dept. on the first floor and my color was hanging way up high - catching my eye immediately. The second was a fur-collar maroon leather jacket. I was 16 years old and I fell in love with it but it cost $140. A lot at the time. The whole family was shopping for new winter wear. It fit like a glove and in the end, my dad insisted I get it. My mom wasn’t too happy but I certainly was and wore that jacket until the lining ripped. My boyfriend at the time purchased a maroon leather jacket to match me!

I told Evelyn she needed to take Miranda to the Herald Square store. It’s an experience and it will be great invoking old and making new...memories.

I wanted to send one of my home-made birthday cards to Miranda and was going to choose from my “collection” but last week, while ready to fall asleep and knowing about her shopping sprees - a design came to me. The results: Think Color-forms…Paper Dolls...the “uggs”…scarf…leggings, shopping bags…all separate pieces….so much fun!

Happy Birthday & Happy Shopping- Miranda Girl…Love you!!

No comments: