Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Focus Group Panelist

After years of filling out screening surveys, I was finally asked to participate on a test panel. Their screening process was intense. Many emails and then 3 phone calls to confirm my information.

I chose the 12 noon / 2 hour panel which paid $100. They also had an 8pm session which paid $75 because apparently it is more difficult to get people in during the day. I was also asked if I would be willing to participate in a 2.5 hour in-home study which would pay $250. At first I wasn't too keen on doing that but without consent, I wouldn't be eligible for the first part and the $250 was pretty good incentive. The study was "grocery shopping".

The panel was held in their offices located on Madison Ave and the 30th's. Easy to get to and I was told to arrive 15 minutes earlier for check-in. Just as I was about to leave, my cell rang and it was another call to remind me of my appointment!

The train was quick and I was 45 minutes early so I sat by the 42nd St library and read more of my book. At 11:30, I headed for the offices. It was a fairly easy walk and the elevator opened to their reception area. I presented my ID and was given another very simple form to fill out - name, age, zip code and my consent to the additional in-home study.

Just past noon, a woman came out to get us. We were a group of seven women in various ages and ethnic background. We followed her through the lengthy hallway which were very nicely decorated and to a conference room where Emily awaited us. We took our chairs and placed our pre-printed name cards in front of us.

The study was about grocery shopping. As we went around the room introducing ourselves...we were also asked to say what was our favorite food. The first 3 ladies that went ahead of me, all were from Forest Hills! How odd. After I said, Rego Park, the next two were from Flushing and then another Forest Hills. Later, I realized it was our "address" that also led us to be part of this panel. And I mentioned sushi as my favorite food.

We spoke of the different places where we buy our groceries...such as Key Food, Pathmark, Trader Joe's and BJ's to name a few. After we listed the different stores, we had to list the pros and cons of each establishment. We had other "exercises" that we worked on in small groups and then was asked individually of which store(s) were frequented the most. Almost everyone mentioned Trader Joe's along with another store.

Emily ended the discussion by mentioning a new concept in grocery shopping. As she started to described it, I knew exactly what she was speaking of and said so. She smiled and continued speaking and I kept the name under wraps. Finally she asked me to say the name which I did..."Aldi's" one of my very favorite stores when I am upstate! It was coming to Queens! I asked where. The Rego Park Center where Kohl's, Century 21 are located....walking distance for me. I was thrilled and raved about this place. Only one other lady heard of it and that was because she is European and had once lived in Germany.

Two hours passed exactly and we were done. We filed out and received our $100 checks. How cool! And easy!

Within 30 minutes of being home, I received a call from them. They would like to invite me for the in-home study! Cha-ching! Emily will be arriving at my home at 10am Thursday and will conduct an hour interview and then we will go shopping as she observes where, how and what I buy. This is going to be very interesting!!! To be continued....

No comments: