Monday, July 20, 2009

Peek-A-Boo!

I was watching Sunday morning TV and CBS was show-casing the Met's new exhibit of "The Model & The Muse". Models & fashion and the evolution through the years. The commentator mentioned the 60's when clothes started to be more di-constructed and women didn't wear bras, corsets or slips. This invoked a memory of me standing on Mulberry Street at one of the side entrances of my grade school P.S. 23. It might have been lunch time when we were allowed outside of school and a bunch of us were playing or hanging out. A young slim caucasian woman walked by. She was wearing one of the first see-through blouses - sheer & white in color. Oh, I know...Scandalous!! She passed us with nary a glance. But I remembered the boys were agog - their eyes bulging out and mouths hanging opened. Oh what a ruckus she caused this little group. In all honesty, I didn't know what the big whoop was but their reaction caught my attention. If I could have, I might have tried to wear one but at 10 or 11 years old - it wasn't easy to find! LOL...who am I kidding?? My mother wouldn't even let me wear bell-bottoms!

No comments: