As
I am approaching that big - yikes - 60 - a bucket list has formed in my head.
Things I've never done, places I've never visited - concerts and such. Having
signed up for IDNYC, the program has encouraged me to go to more cultural events
and museums.
I
signed up for the New York City Ballet and as a member, am invited to 4
rehearsals. I RSVP'ed for the dress rehearsal for A Midsummer Night's Dream and
even better, was allowed one guest. Winnie accompanied me on a beautiful
Tuesday afternoon. There is something very special being on the Lincoln Center
Plaza.
The
rehearsal was absolutely wonderful and surpassed my expectation. To be able to
see every nuance of putting together a ballet - from the orchestra to the
staging to the lighting was fascinating. And of course, the dancers. In their
costumes. Beautiful.
We
enjoyed it so much - we wanted to see the whole thing. And Winnie was able to
score us some tickets for a Saturday matinee (4 days later). Again, another beautiful day and
a sublime way to spend an afternoon with my BFF. Who incidentally had never been
to a ballet so it was doubly special.
Way
back in the day, when I was feeling flushed and Nikki was taking ballet, I had a
subscription to the American Ballet and we went quite a few times. Until a very
young Nikki felt it was enough and then I invited friends to fill in. I loved
it all...was able to see many gorgeous performances and famed ballerinas.
So
it was nostalgic and fulfilling to once again experienced the talent of a dancer
in her tutu on her toes gliding across the stage. Breathtaking!
| Rehearsal Day |
| Ballet Day |
No comments:
Post a Comment