Thursday, April 10, 2014

Take Me Out to The Ballgame!

Last year was the first year in a very long time that I didn't attend a Yankees game.  With Derek hurt, A-Rod in the drug scandal and the Yanks playing lousy, I lost interest.  But with Derek announcing his retirement, I knew I would catch at least one game.  It was with absolute delight when I opened Tom's birthday gift to me and discovered 2 tickets for opening week.  I had asked him to join me but last week, he suffered an injury while playing basketball.  Possibly a torn ligament but we'll know more when he sees his doctor next week.  Instead, Nikki accompanied me.
 
There is definitely something about going to a baseball game.  I love seeing the field at first sight.  And the players running out to start the game.  And sitting in the stands, hoping for a win, wishing my team hits a home run, possibly catching a foul ball, cheering with strangers who are co-fans and so on.
 
My tradition is making sausage, peppers and onion hero to bring to the stadium.  One of the nicer allowances of the Yankee arena.  I made two to share with Nikki and we ate them wholeheartedly.  The seats were phenomenal.  Second level by third base so that Derek was always within view.  The weather would have been perfect if not for the wind so it was a little chilly.  I regret not bringing my Yankees blanket.  The team has changed quite a bit.  I miss Mariano and Robinson Cano and there were some players I didn't know at all. Otherwise - with a home run (by one of those "unknown to me" players), a win against those dreaded Red Sox (4-1) and Nikki for company, it was a most enjoyable evening.  Thanks, Tom (a fabulous future son-in-law)!!

Upon entering the Main Hall
From our seats
Thrilled to be there!
Derek (bent over - taking off his guard) after his first hit at first base - circled in red


Nikki & Mickey


No comments: