Saturday, April 25, 2009

Beginning of an End

This next trip was a tough one. In the summer of 1990, Stan and I were getting along rather nicely. But I was going through a crisis. My business partner, Michael was very ill and my life was in turmoil. I was trying to see if I could savage my marriage and at the same time, stressing over Mike. I had been offered a free cruise on Royal Viking Line the first week of September which was the cruise line we were working for at the time. I had asked Stan if he would come with Nikki and me. I even had two cabins to off-set the strangeness of the whole thing. He agreed.

As things would happen, we lost Mike the same week I was scheduled to set sail. After much discussion, I made the difficult decision to sail. I needed to be away from what had been a roller coaster year and losing Michael was more than I was able to handle.

Royal Viking Line was a luxury cruise line. Much more geared to an older sophisticated clientele. We sailed to Bermuda. An island I had been to hundreds of times and never got tired of. No poverty and beautifully maintained.


Arriving in Bermuda

It ended up being a peaceful and relaxing time. Stan and I got along fine but I think we both knew we were better apart than together so it was bittersweet. It seemed appropriate I was on the high seas when Mike’s funeral took place. I met him at Home Lines and built a company together based on cruising. I had my own private farewell with him in the middle of the ocean. And there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss this wonderful person.




Stan, Nikki & a Viking


Ship's Pool


Pink sand beaches of Bermuda


On the streets of Hamilton, Bermuda (Ship is in the background)

No comments: