Sunday, March 15, 2009

Winner....Not!

I was watching the 5000th episode of Wheel of Fortune. I hardly ever watch this show and hadn’t seen it in quite a while but for some reason when I heard of this milestone, I tuned in. They have changed the game a bit but I got the gist of it all. Doesn’t take a brain surgeon - probably why it’s so popular.

As I watched the contestants do their thing…it came to mind that in all my years of seeing participants in game shows and such - it was surprising to me that I have never known or recognized anyone on any of these shows!

I have been out in the world. I have met many people. Only once did I know of anyone and this I knew beforehand. In 7th grade, my homeroom and English teacher, Mrs. Catugno and her husband who was the gym teacher, both appeared on a game show called “Beat the Clock”. Now that was fun to watch! They both did great although I can’t remember how much they won. It was probably a washer and dryer. That was the big gift in those days.

A few years back, Nikki and I attended a taping of The Tony Danza show. It was a morning talk show and prior to our going into the studio, a staffer asked if I would like to participate in a game they were going to feature on the show. I said yes. It was both frightening and exhilarating.

They seated us in the front row and miked me! Wow. The guest was John McGinley from Scrubs and I was the first person to answer a multiple choice question for a prize. Before the show, I was prepped on where to stand (between Tony & John like below) - to be lively and smile and have lots of energy. Sure…not a prob..a snap. ..what’s the big deal? But the weirdest thing happened when the camera came on and I was ON. It was so “deer in the headlights’ moment. I didn’t stand where I was supposed to. I wasn’t peppy. And I got my question wrong! I might have even stuttered! Sheesh!



For my efforts, I was rewarded a plastic bed-pan. And the first season of Scrubs. All which I gave to Nikki.

My big moment. To be discovered. Down the bed pan.

No comments: